:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

News: Hack a Mac in 60 seconds

• Comments Off on News: Hack a Mac in 60 seconds

News: Hack a Mac in 60 seconds

Latest Replies Forums The Orange Lounge News: Hack a Mac in 60 seconds

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Newman
    Participant

This was a very interesting read. Hope Bryan has his Mac protected

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33458.

Version3
    Keymaster

FYI, that is a MacBook wireless exploit, not a MacBook Pro exploit. 🙂

Newman
    Participant

All in due time. Its a card exploit not a system exploit. If you goto the bottom of that page and click read more, it tells of windows machines being taken over the same way, it was the wireless card.

Newman
    Participant
    Version3
    Keymaster

A) it requires that you connect to the ‘questionable access point’ first, so that’s not what I’d call totally ‘real world’. So if you go around connecting to networks you don’t know anything about, I guess you are pretty vulnerable. The driver in question though, is for the third party hardware that is used inside the MacBook (and the third-party card) and does not necessarily apply to another Apple machines. If it did, I believe that at least one of the 12 kajillion news articles on this monumental find would make note of it.

ANY machine can be hacked with enough effort applied. Nobody has ever stated that Apples are hackerproof or virus proof unless they were morons. They are not plagued with them like Windows-based machines are. The only reason this is getting so much attention is it’s one of the very few times it’s been successfully done, and although much of the security and non-Apple resources out there want to point this out as a major flaw, I saw it’s a major strength. The fact that doing it once is such major news proves that A) people are trying to do it all of the time and B) it happens so rarely that it’s huge news.

Proud to be on a Mac.

rob
    Participant

Right on, bitches! Apple, represent!

Okay, I’m a dork.

Bing
    Participant

If a mac is so stable does that mean that the gallery tab works on them?

hahaha

nuthin but love Bryan…in a non-gay way

Version3
    Keymaster

That is closer than you think Sir Bing. 😀

Newman
    Participant
    Version3 wrote:
    The driver in question though, is for the third party hardware that is used inside the MacBook (and the third-party card) and does not necessarily apply to another Apple machines. If it did, I believe that at least one of the 12 kajillion news articles on this monumental find would make note of it.

But if its the driver for the 3rd party card then it could be ANY machine, including other types of Mac’s, right?

And I agree with you that with enough time and force anything can be hacked. Thankfully Mac’s are dam fallable…is that even a word?

Version3
    Keymaster

The ‘third party’ card could (and likely is) the external version of the embeded card, or at least using the same drive, so yeah if you put that external card on any other machine that would be true. But in this case, they were using (I believe) an external card that matched the internal card of the MacBook… that’s why I think it is limited to that machine, running either OS, or quite possibly another machine using the same drivers/hardware.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.