:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

New Discworld

• Comments Off on New Discworld

New Discworld

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder New Discworld

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    digitaltopia
    Participant

For those that are a fan of Discworld and Terry Pratchett, there’s a new Discworld novel out called Unseen Academicals.

Larkitect
    Participant

is this the one with the world on the back of the turtle? with the hogfather?

My essence still senses Bucho's women.

digitaltopia
    Participant

Yes, where the Disc sits on the back of some massive elephants which are standing on the back of Great A’Tuin, who swims through space presumably looking for some other world turtles to get its groove on with.

Larkitect
    Participant

i forgot about the elephants

Version3
    Keymaster

What the fuck are you guys talking about?

digitaltopia
    Participant
    Larkitect
    Participant

@Version3 41516 wrote:

What the fuck are you guys talking about?

something that looks like this:

HOGF_discworld_500x280.jpg

there’s some novels with this as the setting. i only recently discovered they were novels. i saw a movie on the sci-fi channel years ago based on this. i enjoyed it. there are graphic novels out now based on them.

digi was telling us there is a new novel out. the author has been diagnosed with alzheimer’s too i believe.

digitaltopia
    Participant

He has been, which is unfortunate. I’m not sure how many more novels he’ll be able to write. I know from watching an interview he’s already stopped actually typing his novels himself and has started dictating them all.

Bucho
    Participant

Yeah, it’s a shitter that it had to happen to him of all writers. Is it just me or does it seem to be so often the case that good artists get struck down and mediocre ones flourish.

On the plus side at least he’s still with us for now, I find he’s the only fiction author who interests me these days.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

digitaltopia
    Participant

I think he’s one of the best writers out there and his skill with the English language is superb.

Bucho
    Participant

I like the wizards of Discworld but I think the stories with them as the main focus are the least fun, those guys are far more entertaining in smaller doses and that’s when I can really get to love them. I like Moist a lot but the stories of the Watch are the best ones because they are a bunch of great characters I can’t get enough of whereas Moist’s stories are more Moist-centric.

I think Pratchett has stuck with me as I’ve moved towards being far more interested in non-fiction because his sense of humour is the perfect balance between sillygoose and dark somedy. I’m bored by fiction authors who take their work too seriously and also by those who lean too hard on either the dark and cynical or the light and silly side. Terry Pratchett straddles that line and rises above the rest because of it.

I haven’t liked any of the tv adaptations especially much though Lark, I like the actors in them but not the way they’re cast. I mean, at times they’re fun enough but they’re not top quality tv in the way Pratchett is a top quality author.

Larkitect
    Participant

@Bucho 41578 wrote:

I haven’t liked any of the tv adaptations especially much though Lark, I like the actors in them but not the way they’re cast. I mean, at times they’re fun enough but they’re not top quality tv in the way Pratchett is a top quality author.

no arguments here. that’s about what i’d expect being produced by a tv network.

digitaltopia
    Participant

To my knowledge, there were two animated mini-series, Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music, with neither being outstanding but Soul Music being better, and the two more recent made-for-TV movies, Hogfather and The Color of Magic. I saw Hogfather and it was enjoyable enough and Death’s granddaughter Susan is played by an actress that’s a little tart I’d like to fill with my filling. I haven’t seen The Color of Magic yet, but I haven’t heard anything good about it. I heard it didn’t adapt the book very well and the casting was terrible. For instance, they got some old guy to play Rincewind, when Rincewind is supposed to be a young scrappy dude.

Bucho
    Participant

@digitaltopia 41592 wrote:

To my knowledge, there were two animated mini-series, Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music, with neither being outstanding but Soul Music being better, and the two more recent made-for-TV movies, Hogfather and The Color of Magic. I saw Hogfather and it was enjoyable enough and Death’s granddaughter Susan is played by an actress that’s a little tart I’d like to fill with my filling. I haven’t seen The Color of Magic yet, but I haven’t heard anything good about it. I heard it didn’t adapt the book very well and the casting was terrible. For instance, they got some old guy to play Rincewind, when Rincewind is supposed to be a young scrappy dude.

I’ve not seen the animated stuff but I’ve seen both live-action telemovies. The Rincewind casting was a prime example of what I meant, David Jason is a brilliant comic actor but he’s an old bastard by now and Rincewind is anything but that. Totally wrong vibe for the character and jokes.

digitaltopia
    Participant

You can skip Wyrd Sisters unless you’re a completest, especially considering each mini-series is about three hours because they were originally shown over many days, and just watch Soul Music because it does have some interesting bits and music.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.