:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Mutemath on Letterman –

• Comments Off on Mutemath on Letterman –

Mutemath on Letterman –

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder Mutemath on Letterman –

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    rob
    Participant

Did you guys see these guys? Ever even heard of them? I watched Letterman the other night and they blew me away. Use of keyboards, guitars, and one kickass drummer. It’s not very often that I hear a song and get instantly hooked, but here it is…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hAWuF2lEVI

Version3
    Keymaster

Oh! So your the guy still watching Letterman.

thx_1227
    Participant

Pretty good stuff, one of the better performances I’ve seen on Letterman. Gotta love the drummer singing into a miked megaphone…

rob
    Participant

Actually, I watch Conan, unless it’s a repeat. The only reason I changed was because I didn’t like the music on Conan.

Version3
    Keymaster

I finally actually watched it. I’m not the fan of it that you are Rob… but that drummer was fantastic! Other than the chorus, the performance just didn’t seem that tight, it may just be the song, but it was odd. Some of it felt effect heavy for the sake of effect, and not as much a style choice, but I really thought that the drum work was great, and sounded good with the mixed keyboard and guitar bassline.

rob
    Participant

I think it’s all the off-beat style of the song, more than anything. It’s been stuck in my head for days.

Bucho
    Participant

We don’t get Conan but I record Letterman every day and if there’s a good guest to interview and/or band I’ll watch that but I always skip the first half of the show. As for Mutemath I had the exact same reaction as Bryan, nice chorus, ace drummer. You should check out a band called TV On The Radio Robby, they’ve been around a few years now and Mutemath’s unconventional songwriting reminded me of them somewhat.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Newman
    Participant

Its an interesting sound and I like it.

I’ve never really been a fan of Letterman’s humour. Maybe I just don’t get it or haven’t watched him enough to understand the back story of some of them.

rob
    Participant

I’ve since listened to a lot of Mutemath’s stuff, and I really dig them. A lot of their music has a nice large soundscape that I really love.

TV on the Radio has been around a while — in fact, they opened for NIN a couple of years ago. They just weren’t my style — it’s almost like having Whataburger vs. In-N-Out. They’re both burgers, and they’re both good — but the ingredients come together better at In-N-Out. It’s not just the offbeat stuff, it’s their larger soundscape.

I admit that the chorus in that song is what attracted me to Mutemath in the beginning, but I’m really liking their other stuff.

Bucho
    Participant

Fine, I’ll listen to more Mutemath then, just get off my back about it already.

Bing
    Participant

I didn’t know Mandy Patinkin played the drums.

Bucho
    Participant

@Bucho 41166 wrote:

Fine, I’ll listen to more Mutemath then, just get off my back about it already.

And finally I did and you were right Robby. Except I’ve been listening to the album they hadn’t released when this thread was all made and stuff.

MotherFUCK this is a fun album and it’s all your fault.

Bucho
    Participant

Sa-weeeeeeeeet. When they hit that breakdown/chorus at 1:04 and 1:59 I’m so hard I could smash diamonds.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.