:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

MMA Thread…

• Comments Off on MMA Thread…

MMA Thread…

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder MMA Thread…

This topic contains 707 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Bucho Bucho 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 691 through 705 (of 708 total)
  • Author
    rob
    rob
    Participant

Man…I want to root for Johny, and I was happy to see him happy, but man, I think it comes down to heart, will and desire, and I just don’t know if he’s got it. Maybe he was taking something before – still find it really strange that his knockout power seems to be gone, but it’s just hard for him to be any more than a curiosity at this point. Remember, before all my shit went down, I wanted to go train with the guy.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Oh, I remember alright, I remember like the wind. I think the GSP and Lawler losses affected his drive quite a bit – both fights the majority of people thought he won but he wasn’t given the decisions. That, combined with his LOVE of eating have made his camps a real hard slog over the last couple of years so he’s been a miserable fucker for a while. I don’t know what lead to his fall-outs with his team and with Dolce, but it was clear he wasn’t in love with the sport anymore. The banning of IVs can’t have helped.

As for his KO power, I think a decent slice of the reason for that is probably just that once he got to the top of the division he was fighting the toughest WWs on the planet who were craftier in striking defense than the guys he was able to put away.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

rob
    rob
    Participant

Meh, enough about Hendricks – how about my man Edson! He’s got to be in my top five all time favorite fighters. I scared the hell out of April when the knee landed – she was on her iPad, and I yelled “HOLY SHIT!” and she jumped like crazy.

So who else is in my top five? Don’t really know. I know Joe Lauzon’s up there, and Dominick Cruz is in there – I like cerebral fighters. Maybe GSP, maybe Conor…?

rob
    rob
    Participant

Oh, and I’m a fan of anybody that beats the shit out of Vitor. Have I mentioned that before? How much I detest that piece of shit? Yeah.

Good riddance, Vitor, hopefully that’s the last time I see your cheating ass.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

It’s crazy how fast Vitor still is. Even off the juice he gave Weidman fits on the feet and he looked quick against Kelvin too. Kelvin is something though. Like your main man Johny he seems like he’d be too small at MW when he’s standing there being interviewed by Brian Stann, but the kid is fascinating from all sorts of angles and handled Vitor almost perfectly.

Barboza’s a guy I always look forward to watching too and that knee was perfection. A good thing too, because Beneil was doing really well up until that point.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

What the hell Rumble?

Also, what the hell Dan Miragliotta?

rob
    rob
    Participant

Yeah, Rumble’s gameplan makes a bit more sense now that we know he was wanting to retire. I was pretty blown away, though.

And Dan…even Joe and Dominick thought the shot was illegal. Huge bummer though. Would’ve been interesting to see how it would’ve played out if it kept going.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I still don’t get Rumble’s gameplan. He mashed DC’s nose across his face and then decided to abandon the thing at which he was being most effective. I totally got what Henry was talking about on Ariel’s show though.

With Miragliotta I was more talking about changing his call in the middle of the recovery period. Not that he could really be blamed, since the dude giving him the info was no less of an authority than Big John himself, but that’s what made it such a mess. On the other hand it’s tough to be mad when the correct call is established, and it would have been super harsh on Moose to have been penalized for doing nothing wrong.

rob
    rob
    Participant

Yeah, once the fight was stopped, there wasn’t a great way to get out of it. Still, even though Chris would’ve gotten some recovery time because of it, it seems that the fairest thing would’ve been to restart the fight in the same position.

I didn’t hear what Hooft said on the MMA hour – I hadn’t listened to that whole show yet.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I was kind of rooting for Max to win just because as much as I love Jose, Max being champ will be better for the division and for the sport, but I wasn’t prepared for how bummed I’d be to actually see Jose get comprehensively outfought like that.

Against Conor 13 seconds wasn’t long enough to draw too many conclusions, but Max was flat-out the better fighter in Rio that night.

It was a fascinating battle though, considering what each guy did, and even more considering what each guy didn’t do.

rob
    rob
    Participant

Yeah, Max just didn’t look like himself in the first round, but you could see the turn of the tide toward the end of the 2nd. Just a systematic attack once he figured Jose out.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

To be fair, nobody (who’s not Irish) ever looks like themselves in a first round against Jose Aldo. The trick is to try to make Jose Aldo not look like Jose Aldo after that.

rob
    rob
    Participant

Nicely put. Definitely be interesting to see what’s next for both of them. Maybe Edgar next for the title? Can’t really think of anybody else more deserving.

rob
    rob
    Participant

Dude, are you losing your mind right now?

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

It’s to the point now I don’t even really enjoy seeing Mark fight anymore, I love him that much. Being a South
    Auckland boy myself and having trained at his NZ academy/home Oliver MMA a bunch I hold him pretty close to my heart and the stress just eats me up when he’s in there with these monsters who can end the night in a quarter of a second. When he wins it’s more relief than joy these days.

I’m sure I would’ve liked it more if I’d been there in person but my studies are so heavy right now, and the associated finances so tight, I just couldn’t swing it on this one.

Was cool though seeing Dan The Hangman get a victory over a fairly high-profile name (although I like Ross a lot too, so it was a bittersweet moment) and really sweet to see Luke The Jedi, who I first saw at a local show in 2012 and have followed ever since on his journey to the big show, get his win too.

And yeah, it has to be Frankie for the title. Tough right now to see how he’d have much success against Max though.

Viewing 15 posts - 691 through 705 (of 708 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.