:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

MMA Thread…

• Comments Off on MMA Thread…

MMA Thread…

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder MMA Thread…

This topic contains 719 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Bucho Bucho 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 676 through 690 (of 720 total)
  • Author
    Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

You must have loved listening to Paul Craig on Ariel’s show. I was trying to do a Scottish accent all day after that.

Starting to get real amped for Ronda’s return by the way. For Christmas I want her and Holly both to win, so they’re both champions, then Holly drops back to 135 to try and become double champ, Ronda beats her, then Ronda goes up to challenge for the 145 strap for their trilogy fight. Is that too much to ask?

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

rob
    rob
    Participant

Yeah, dude’s accent is THICK. Certain words are really fun to say, like later is like LAYhur, like the t is completely silent.

Was this on Monday’s show? I’ve had such a disruptive week that I’m really behind on all my stuff this week.

It’s going to be interesting to see what Ronda’s plan is beyond this fight. Was it just time? Is it the money? Nobody’s heard anything from her really, and as you well know, training and skill is important, but the mental part of the game is just as important.

And all that what if after this fight – even more interesting now that Cyborg seems to have tested positive again for something.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Yeah, they drop the t and put a kind of stop in there instead. I think it’s called a glottal stop. Scouse and Cockney has the same feature I think. So do several of the Polynesian languages we hear a lot of out here in the South Pacific.

I actually like how close to the vest Ronda is playing it. The mystery will only increase the drama of her comeback.

I’m not sure what’s going on with Cyborg but I’m kind of sad for her either way. It’s possible she’s cheated of course, but when you see and heart what she’s been through with the cuts to 140 it feels like she’s both been mistreated by the UFC and had bad advice from her team. Between having several fighters miss weight and what Cyborg has been through this guy Lockhart doesn’t seem as professional as someone like Mike Dolce.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I blame Edmond.

rob
    rob
    Participant

I don’t even know who to blame for that. It actually looked like Nunes was fighting someone off the street, with absolutely no training. Amazing stuff.

Chuck Mindenhall on MMA Fighting summed it up pretty well – if Ronda wanted everybody to leave her alone, she got her wish. I can’t see anyone caring if she ever fights again, and she’s not a good enough actress for anybody to care about that either.

I find it extremely sad. I think she shot herself in the foot by not saying anything. And like Chuck said, by staying quiet, she’s made it really hard to root for her.

And Cruz/Garbrandt – at first I was angry at Cody, because as you know, I’m a HUGE fan of Dominick, but as the fight wore on, he really impressed me. And then – if you didn’t watch Dominick’s press conference, it’s a must-watch. He’s got to be one of the most inspirational fighters, period.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I haven’t seen the pressers yet, but I read Ben Fowlkes’ article comparing the ways Ronda and Dom responded.

There’s a video going round which apparently has Edmond’s corner audio on it in which he hollers repeatedly for Ronda to move her head, and she doesn’t. She has zero head movement at all, right from the get go, even though her coach is apparently screaming his lungs out for it. Weirdly she does attempt to clinch when he hollers to clinch, and she lifts her guard when he hollers to get her hands up.

rob
    rob
    Participant

There’s only so many adjustments a fighter can make in the first 48 seconds of a fight. April said that it’s funny that when they showed Ronda before the fight, it was just her hitting a bag or hitting mitts. Did she actually do any active sparring, where someone hit her in the head? If you can’t get hit more than once before you start going into survival mode, well, that’s an issue.

I think it’s a mixture of her earlier opponents buying into the hype or blind luck (Zingano) or her actually being matched up favorably against lesser opponents (nice size advantage over Correia, younger and faster than Alexis Davis, McMann another non-striker).

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I mean he’s hollering for it right from the get go. Pretty much the easiest and most basic striking defense possible aside from running away is moving your head, and Edmond is screeeeeeaming for it. And she just doesn’t respond. Not even that silly body roll stuff Shogun does.

But she does respond to his calls to clinch and to get her guard up. It’s just weird that she responds to some commands but not others. Why wouldn’t it be all or nothing on that count? It makes no sense.

rob
    rob
    Participant

First punch, she knows it’s over. And I thought the same thing, I was like, oh boy. This is going to be worse than Holm. I just think she’s done. She doesn’t really have anything to prove anymore, and even if she did, she probably wouldn’t be able to hang. Her time is over – move on and reinvent yourself.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I love Cowboy, but I love Masvidal just a little more, so I was happy with that result.

Love Valentina too. Even moreso after that crazy dance. Really looking forward to her rematch with Nunes.

And Ngannou is so much fun to watch. Can’t wait till his next fight. I guess they’ll give him someone like Rothwell, which would be a sweet match up, although I think he wants Werdum.

rob
    rob
    Participant

I think he said Velasquez, which I think may be too much too soon, along with Verdum. I say be careful with him – dude could be a huge star.

Before the Masvidal/Cowboy fight, I was saying that this is not an easy fight for Cowboy, and Masvidal’s no joke. I was trying to think of a loss of his where he actually got beat, you know? Like a one sided loss. And there are none. I think Masvidal’s the real deal, and this showed that he’s up there for a title shot, along with Maia.

I don’t know why, but women’s bantamweight is just not as interesting to me right now. Valentina did look great, but I don’t know – it’s just not grabbing me.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Masvidal’s blessing and his curse is he knows how not to get beat up, so nobody ever really waxes him, but he also doesn’t have too many superdynamic, ubermemorable wins, so he gets thought of as a journeyman. Even as a fan of him I agree with Dana’s criticism.

Did you see the thing Ariel did with Conor? There’s nothing in particular that he came out with that would’ve been worth paying for (did you see the prices folks were paying for some of those seats?!?), but I still enjoyed the free version.

rob
    rob
    Participant

I agree, but this win was something special. He really should get more respect now, no question.

Re: Conor-talk: I’m sorta losing my patience a little bit. I watched a few minutes of that, and just got bored. That could be because I’m not 100%, but although he is entertaining, I don’t understand why I should care about what he does outside the cage. Like, if he’s not selling me a fight, I’m not sure I care that much. I’ve heard the highlights of what he’d said, and that’s good enough for me.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Yeah, I don’t blame you really. Like you say, because there’s nothing set in his future it was kind of a whole lot of sound and fury signifying nothing. I enjoyed it, but even so, it was a window I had running in the background while I did other stuff.

Meanwhile KZ and Dennis Bermudez are never in boring fights, so I’m stoked for that today, but my secret favourite fight on the card is Andrade vs Hill. Hill is a fun fighter, and talker, but Andrade has looked like an unstoppable killing machine at 115 and I can’t wait to see her do her thing again.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Did you hear your boy Johny on Ariel’s show today Robby? He seemed kind of small standing next to former MW Brian Stann getting interviewed after his own MW debut, but it’s top notch to hear him happy and loving the game again.

Viewing 15 posts - 676 through 690 (of 720 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.