:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

MMA Thread…

• Comments Off on MMA Thread…

MMA Thread…

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder MMA Thread…

This topic contains 719 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Bucho Bucho 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 720 total)
  • Author
    rob
    rob
    Participant

I figure we need a new thread for MMA stuff, since, well, I think we stopped talking about Steven Seagal on the first page.

To start it off, this weekend we’ve got Strikeforce, with Paul Daley taking on Nick Diaz. Looking forward to this one, as Diaz never has a boring fight, so it should be good. Of course, we’ve also got the Bellator fights. I never know anyone in the fights, but there’s been at least one good fight every time ive watched it, so yay, more fights!

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Well okay Rob, if that’s the way you want it we’ll vacate that grimy old dojo and decamp to this spiffing new venue.

But I’m bringing these with me.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

I’m gonna grab her wrist, then I’m take my top off and her bottom off… then see if someone gets their snake out and… I lost my mind after this.

There was far less oil in this than I was hoping for.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Tom Hardy + MMA = Hopefully a fun ride through a bunch of sports movie tropes adapted to cage fighting …

rob
    rob
    Participant

That looks kickass. And, holy crap, Hardy is jacked! I guess, good thing, since he’s playing Bane in TDKR.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

If there’s one young actor who can match what Ledger brought to TDK in terms of pure screen charisma it’s Tom Hardy. Actually Michael Fassbender could too, but he’s already Magneto.

Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

This actually looks pretty good. It looks like the story has nothing new to bring us really, but if it does feel-good story well enough, and the folks doing the pretendy thing in front of the box of magic glass are believable enough, this could be really decent.

rob
    rob
    Participant

So, I was just watching Inside MMA (a talkshow on HDNet – not sure how widespread HDNet is), but there was a short interview with Anderson Silva, and he’s very excited to possibly fight Georges St. Pierre. He said that GSP is the best fighter in the world, along with BJ Penn and Jon Jones. The interviewer said “Well, surely you’d be included in that list”, and Anderson replied, “No, I’m one of the best performers, but they’re better fighters”.

Now, I still feel like somewhat a novice when it comes to MMA in general, and it’s not like anyone outside his little group really knows him, but this really surprised me. He responded with exactly the opposite response I expected. I thought he was a punk and really full of himself, but this was just supremely humble. I’ve started to be a fan of his over the last couple of fights, but this really changes what I think of him.

So, this a surprise to anyone?

Larkitect
    Larkitect
    Participant

i’m really surprised by that. that’s funny to think about though. “i’m one of the best performers. i like to pretend i’m in the matrix so that i can dodge everything before i knock people out with a front kick to the face.”

silva gets points for that in my book.

seagal has that humble/zen thing going on so maybe some of that is starting to rub off on silva.

My essence still senses Bucho's women.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

@rob 46558 wrote:

So, this a surprise to anyone?

His displays inside the cage haven’t always reflected it but any time I’ve ever heard Anderson or seen him in interviews he’s soft spoken and humble. He comes across more like a shy, dorky kid than a 35 year old MMA badass.

I mean, actions speak louder than words and I like to think the real Anderson Silva is the one we saw get on the floor and bow on his knees in front of Vitor Belfort after Vitor had just been destroyed in the first round by Anderson’s deadly front kick.

Speaking of Anderson, I can’t wait to see this …

Larkitect
    Larkitect
    Participant

i love a good allegory.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I just can’t wait to find out how it ends. That Chael dude seems reeeeeeally good.

Larkitect
    Larkitect
    Participant

i’m looking forward to couture vs. machida. i’m a fan of both and they have very different fighting styles. i think it could be really good or really boring but at least i’ll get to see randy in the cage again. 🙂

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Yeah, it’s a crazy good card coming up for 129. Two guys considered in the top three pound for pound fighters in the world with GSP and Jose Aldo defending their belts and Randy and Lyoto go at it too.

The GSP Shields match up especially is so intriguing, with GSP being the freak he is and Jake Shields coming out of that badass Cesar Gracie camp. The only bummer might be that the Nate Diaz v Rory MacDonald match up is on the Spike prelim card, which might not be screened over here. Nate’s always fun to watch and Rory had some sweet muay thai when he gave Carlos Condit all that trouble last year. Should be fireworks.

Speaking of Cesar Gracie fighters and fireworks, did you guys catch Gil Melendez and Nick Diaz doing their things last week? There’s never a dull moment with those boys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT-XncTYnP4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKaO-0OveJc

rob
    rob
    Participant

OMG, the GSP/Shields fight has me a little insane. It’s so exciting!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 720 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.