March 10, 2008 at 7:47 pm #1089
Yeah, I don’t know if you guys heard about this, but they’re making a Max Payne movie, and Mila Kunis (Jackie from That 70’s Show) is playing his love interest/wife or whatever. And they’re shooting for a PG-13 rating. Does this sound like the worst idea or what? Max Payne was cool, but it was based on movies. So, they’re making a movie about a video game based on movies? Fuck this, man!
I could be wrong, it could be cool.March 10, 2008 at 8:01 pm #13026Version3Keymaster
No, it will totally suck.
1) Wrong age group for the characters… +8-10 years.
2) Not Mila Kunis, there is no logical reason whatsoever for casting her in much of anything.
3) As you already said, it’s a game based on movies… this is like translating a really funny monologue written in English into Hebrew only to be translated back in English. It will lose it’s cohesiveness, and will wind up being based on blowing shit up and cool effects. They should scrap this and just make another Triple X sequel, at least they won’t piss people off as much.
4) The thing that really makes the game work is that you are PLAYING it. It sucks you into this cinematic crime drama because you get to be the character. Without the game piece, even the GAME wouldn’t stand a chance at the box office. Why the fuck would they try to adapt that shit further.
5) PG-13 rating? Are you people fucking high? The language that this movie should call for should make it a solid R. It should be violent enough for an R, and dammit, if you are going to take away BEING the movie, and try to make it a watch-only experience you better add some well placed boobs to this movie (and recast the love interest before you do this).March 10, 2008 at 8:27 pm #13028
Yeah, I agree — it’s a totally stupid idea. Hopefully, Max Payne will be played by Paul Walker, and then it will be a MUST-SEE!March 11, 2008 at 3:06 am #13032OctaviousParticipant
I agree with Bryan. Ever since I seen Paul Walker, he is the perfect choice for a “Bullitt” remake.March 11, 2008 at 3:14 am #13027
Mark Wahlberg is Max Payne. This movie is officially teh suck.March 11, 2008 at 4:19 pm #13033BingParticipant
this is going to suck.
Where do this games as movies ideas come from? They pick the shittiest things around to make.
Next thing you know they’ll be making Diakatana or Simcity or someshitMarch 12, 2008 at 6:29 am #13034EmFourParticipant
I would much rather just get a Max Payne 3 than a movie. In fact, I’d rather no movies ever be based on vidja games. The ratio to dogshit to almost watchable is so heavily weighted in the former that I’d just rather it all ended. Although I’d pay to see a Daikatana movie, for the novelty.March 15, 2008 at 10:04 pm #13030Pa-ulParticipant
Now that Hollywood seems to have redone most movies and ‘begins’ and ‘returns’, they are turning their attention to video games.
I notice that a ‘Hitman’ movie has been done and ‘Silent Hill’.
I give it a year and Grand Theft Auto becomes a film.
If it doesn’t work, jam a screwdriver in there and jiggle it about.March 17, 2008 at 10:04 am #13029NewmanParticipant
Looking through this list of games made into movies, I see only a few that were decent.
Doom being a relatively good game (from what I’ve heard, never played it) made a shitty movie according to reviews.
Final Fantasy Spirits Within just didn’t have a good marketing scheme, I personally enjoyed it if not for the story then the crazy CGI. Same goes with Final Fantasy Advent Children which I think did better.
House of the Dead, how do you even make a move based on a “on-rails shooter” game?…srsly wtf?
Hitman, did anyone see this movie? I was gonna pirate it but never got around to it. Thats how much it interested me.
Lets not even talk about the stupid mario movies, funny cuz it was the 80s but still.
Mortal Combat, meah.
Pokemon, Movies based on a Game based on a TV show based on a Collectable card game, of course the 9yr olds will love it.
Resident Evil was pretty good at least the first one and most of the 2nd and 3rd ones.
Silent Hill was actually pretty good and got decent reviews too. I think they are planning a 2nd SH movie.
Tomb Raider, whats wrong with Angelina Jolie running around in a skimpy amazon suit, amirite?
Anyways the point I’m trying to make is they really need to stop fucking up the integrity of prefectly good video game frachises with half assed second rate movies that blow chucks. See how often it works? NOT VERY OFTEN YOU GREEDY HOLLYWOOD FUCKS!!March 17, 2008 at 10:06 pm #13031digitaltopiaParticipant
When it comes to turning games into TV shows, they usually don’t make it not because of a bad translation per se’, but usually because they don’t put enough of what made the game good into the TV show.
For instance, Sam and Max. They put it on Saturday morning and put just a little adult humor in it. It should have had a better time slot and it should’ve been adult all the way through.
I do remember liking the Maniac Mansion TV series though.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.