:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Like the Muppets?

• Comments Off on Like the Muppets?

Like the Muppets?

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder Like the Muppets?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    digitaltopia
    Participant

I have to admit I was rather surprised by the “fart shoes” joke in the trailer as well. It wasn’t something I was expecting the Muppets to do or say.

If the Muppets come out seeming like almost completely different Muppets, then it will seem like the movie guys and Disney wanted to tell their own puppet story and just decided to use the Muppets as the vehicle because it’s a well-known brand and would help to sell the story, even if they’re not really acting much like the original Muppets at all, as opposed to using their own puppets or just doing a parody, which would’ve been fun.

The problem with the article is it basically says the Muppets need to change to continue. I’m not sure I agree with that. The Muppets present a certain brand. People familiar with them expect a certain thing when dealing with them and in general like that thing. I’m not sure changing the brand the Muppets present is such a good idea.

Bucho
    Participant

Yeah, the Muppets were never the first name in sophistication but they were at least clever enough not to have to resort to any kind of toilet humour, although the point seems to be Kermit shaking his head because Fozzy has resorted to that exact thing. It’s a signifier of The Muppets at that point in the film having lost their mojo somewhat rather than a signifier of the new tone of The Muppets.

But I agree that there’s not any need to change the original Henson sensibility in terms of the tone of the characters and the jokes.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

digitaltopia
    Participant

Right. The Muppets were silly, but never crude or vulgar. They were clever.

admin
    Keymaster

I like the feel of paper. I’m no glue-sniffer but I’ll always appreciate the smell of a new binding. Not that I’m against musty books. I love musty books. But I remember the days, not so long ago, when at quarter to three in the morning, I would get home, realise I had an essay to hand in within the next half day and knuckle down to some last minute reading, analysing and extensive quoting. That’s when I really love ebooks.

digitaltopia
    Participant

I would say the spam is getting more well-written.

Version3
    Keymaster

I’m just amazed that one got through the signup. Must have been a person with a lot of time to invest.

Larkitect
    Participant

yeah. somebody. think his real name is probably Ryan Bassels.

My essence still senses Bucho's women.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Spam? What’d I miss? You know O loves me some good spambots!

BIG JOBBIES

Bucho
    Participant

This is one of my favourite internet movie review guys, Renn Brown from CHUD.com. He started doing these short-ass video reviews as he’s been covering the Savannah Film Festival and for some reason The Muppets made its secret world premierre there.

Sounds promising at least.

http://www.chud.com/73495/chud-video-quick-review-the-muppets/

digitaltopia
    Participant

Interesting little commentary. It’s too bad he didn’t grow up watching The Muppet Show so he could give a more broad-based commentary, but that kid probably just hit puberty as it is.

I had to chuckle at his comment, when talking about his past Muppet experience, that he saw bits and pieces of the movie, singular. Just like when this other guy in relation to Discworld recently said, “It makes me want to read the book!”

Bucho
    Participant

Haha, it’s true that Renn’s of the next generation and hasn’t been submerged in Muppet lore like us old fuckers but he definitely has a clue when it comes to film-making – from both sides of the lens.

Here’s the full review.

http://www.chud.com/73982/savff-review-the-muppets/

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.