:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Lightsaber Fight

• Comments Off on Lightsaber Fight

Lightsaber Fight

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder Lightsaber Fight

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    digitaltopia
    Participant

This lightsaber fight is pretty good. It’s interesting that technology has come so far as to allow a couple of kids to make a video like this.

http://www.holylemon.com/StarwarsFans.html.

Version3
    Keymaster

Agreed about it being great that technology has come so far, but I for one am tired of seeing someone’s first jaunt into rotoscope work being passed off as a short film, tired of seeing it always revolve around lightsabers, and tired of seeing computer geeks trying to look like swordsman. Okay, cool… they did what TONS of guys already did, and I give them credit for that obviously, but I’m so tired of seeing lamers find excuses to use lightsabers without a hint of real creativity. The goofy moves and stupid force tricks don’t count for me. And worst of all, completely retarded ‘moves’ that make no sense at all. The fight pacing was all wrong, and it just annoyed me. Yeah, I’m being hard on them… but if you are doing to do what a whole slew of fanboys have done before, do it better, do it different or keep it on your own hard drive.

Fuck I’m mean.

rob
    Participant

Wow…that was pretty harsh.

I have to give them “props” for some cool moves — Bryan’s right, a lot of them made absolutely no sense, but the guy in the blue had some really nice moves. I also have to mention that a lot of the camera moves and positions made for a very entertaining fight.

ElNacho
    Participant

meh, i hate seeing things ive already seen a million times before. kinda like chain emails

Version3
    Keymaster

Yeah, I’m a mean fucker.

ROSS
    Participant

Now I’m not entirely disagreeing with you guys, Rob and Bryan, but I feel that video was made to impress people and make them go “wow that was cool!” and in my opinion, I feel it did its job. It did what it was made to do, nothing more, nothing less. Maybe, one idea is to, step back (not physically!) and see the video from the perception of a 10-14 year old kid and then (with the exception of El Nacho, because he still thought it sucked) you should see how it actually aint so bad after all? Thats what I did, I saw past the cheesy, shitty moves, and the dodgey pacing, and saw it for what it was meant to be: a really great Lightsabre battle.

Version3
    Keymaster

There are 70 more of these to impress 10-14 year olds… all I’m saying is this was tired enough that I wish I’d skipped seeing it… as far as a ‘great lightsaber battle’ or any ‘good moves’, just rewatch it and think about the positions you have leverage in… there were far more bad moves than there were good moves. The guy in blue that Rob refers to sticks out the most as the worst offender of this. Just look at how his wrist breaks over when the sabers ‘hit’. That guy would have less power behind that than my two year old wields. I’m picking on the ‘moves’ and the errors because that is all this thing really could have had going for it. I’ll side with Rob on the camera positions and moves, but I wasn’t impressed with them necessarily, but was happy that they were good enough to not detract from what you were watching, and with it being an action sequence, you have to give at least the DP or cameraguy props.

Octavious
    Participant

I guess out of shape people can be in lightsaber fights.

cinemafreak
    Participant

http://www.Fanfilms.com This flick was made and released in 2003. It was planned out and shot in one to two days.
    Ryan W and Dorkman Scott are the best out there. They had done rotoscoping on the majority of the first fanfilms, and nearly all of the best ones. The were issued the challenge by fans to see who was better. They showed up, fought, and scoped their own sabers. This wasn’t supposed to be a short film, merely to showcase their talents.
    Ryan W has won young filmmaking awards from HBO among others, and Ryan W works for LucasArts, and Scott works for LucasFilm.

You want good fighting and a story, search for Art of the Saber 2.

Sorry to sound defensive guys, but there are a lot of people that bust their ass, make good product, and are brought done by the internet’s grading curve. You know, the one that makes everything good and drags it down becuase of all the shit out there. Podcasting is going through the exact same thing.

digitaltopia
    Participant

In all fairness, to those that said they wish they wouldn’t have spent the time watching it, when the video first came up and you saw what it was going to be about, you could’ve always just close your browser window.

Version3
    Keymaster

Hmmm… defensiveness on the forum about my beating down something that I just didn’t particularly like. I thought that one of the things that was well liked by my co-hosts and in some cases the fan-base was when I unleash and tell people what I really think. -maybe it doesn’t work too good in text.

I’m glad these guys won recognition for their talents, but note that neither of them won awards or recognition for the things that annoyed me about it. No matter when it came out, I’m still sick of seeing these.

As far as the last comment about ‘you could have closed it’, I did that once… and it took me a few weeks to see what all the fuss was about. It was this really mediocre fanfilm that turned out to be a pretty funny spoof on a Mentos commercial. Since this was posted in the switched:ON forum, by a person with similar interested and tastes as the rest of us, I think it’s pretty obvious why I didn’t ignore the clip once I opened it, and why I opened it in the first place.

I’m going to go back to the work world where I get paid to listen to people justify silly stuff. 😀

digitaltopia
    Participant

Again in all fairness, my comments weren’t really directed at you Sir Version of 3, as you said it was stupid, which you’re free to say of course, just like the rest of us are free to say Rob isn’t gay, but you never actually said that you wished you wouldn’t have watched it.

Here’s a different Star Wars clip from an animation festival with Snoopy that’s not funny and the soundtrack isn’t very good, but at least it’s not lightsabers.

http://213.222.11.138/~timothy/videos05/beagle_tfn.mov

And here’s another clip that’s not even Star Wars, but it’s very artistic and has a better soundtrack.

http://download.blender.org/demo/movies/esign_2_high.qt

Version3
    Keymaster

don’t anyone take what I said hard… you are missing the tone of my voice to draw conclusions on what I said… I’m not irritated at all. Carry on!

Octavious
    Participant
    cinemafreak wrote:
    http://www.Fanfilms.com…You want good fighting and a story, search for Art of the Saber 2.

Rich, thats the one with two guys with a martial arts to it. Right? Thats a good one! The music that goes with it is nice.

Bucho
    Participant

Tell it like you see it Bryan, that’s one of the reasons I listen. Same reason I like Simon Cowell on Idol more than the other hosts. Fuck political correctness, the truth is way more entertaining.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.