:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

‘I’ve seen Transformers’ post

• Comments Off on ‘I’ve seen Transformers’ post

‘I’ve seen Transformers’ post

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder ‘I’ve seen Transformers’ post

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Frank
    Participant

Okay, I’ve now officially seen the whole damned thing now. What does everyone think?

rob
    Participant

No spoilers in this thread, of course, even though it probably doesn’t matter. Like, who would actually be spoiled by, “Man, when that big robot hit that other robot, man that was awesome!”

Anyway — the good — the CG, and Shia Lebouf. He actually makes me more excited that he’s in the next Indiana Jones flick. The relationship between Shia and Bumblebee was pretty well done, actually. And the chick wasn’t too bad.

The bad — everything else. I mean, why change the origin? And I’m not talking about the whole “Optimus has flames” shit, because I don’t care what they did with the characters, because all that was fine. John Turturro — wasted and a stupid character. Jon Voight — wasted and an unbelievable character. Anthony Anderson — stupid, period — character, everything. The chick that figures some shit out — another stupid, period.

You know what, I’m going to stop listing shit there. I got pretty annoyed with the movie about halfway through, when people all around me were laughing at piss jokes. Now, don’t get me wrong, piss jokes can be funny (especially in high-level comedy in upstanding media like, oh, I don’t know, switched:ON, maybe), but two piss jokes? There’s just so much that annoyed me in the movie, it’s a little hard to explain it all.

What really pisses me off is that it’ll make a fuckload of money, and it’s almost totally lacking in actual intelligence. When I feel like I could have written a better story, I get upset. And why, fuckin’ shit, why, does the term “summer blockbuster” have to be synonomous with totally stupid intelligently-vacant shit?

Think I’m overreacting? Give you an example.

Ready?

Batman Forever vs. Batman Begins.

You could argue that Batman Forever is actually kinda entertaining. Maybe, maybe not — but you look at Batman Begins, and suddenly Batman Forever looks like dead Western Canadian Moose afterbirth. Same world, same characters, BIG fuckin’ difference in quality. When you look at things with this perspective, Transformers is a big pile of shit.

Having said that, though, you probably should catch it in a theater — really. The CG and Shia are really that good. Just prepare to sleep through the rest of it.

rob
    Participant

Another review — that I actually agreed with, and it made me laugh a lot, too.

Quote:
    DIE HARD was a blockbuster/popcorn/summer/event movie. So was ALIENS. And TERMINATOR 2. RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. STAR WARS. JAWS. ROAD WARRIOR. PREDATOR. ROBOCOP. TOTAL RECALL. THE MATRIX. LORD OF THE RINGS. You people who like your BATMAN and SPIDER-MAN and X-MEN and SUPERMAN and James Bond and LETHAL WEAPON… these are all big event movies, many of them timeless, many of them clever, well-crafted, some of them masterpieces. I am not being pretentious, I am not expecting too much, these are mainstream, crowd pleasing movies and they are what you used to hope for when you went to a summer movie. You can’t realistically expect a movie as good as ALIENS every time, but that’s better than resigning to the idea that “summer movie” equals “horribly made infantile disposable pap” and being excited about it anyway.

And I thought I was being harsh…

I hope I didn’t scare you guys off — I just didn’t care for the movie. Don’t feel scared to disagree…

Version3
    Keymaster

how the fuck did Robocop and Total Recall make that list. As much as anyone may like them they are shit movies… bad acting, goofy ideas and all.

I expected little from the movie other than wow. At the risk of the dreaded phrase being read into it, I liked it because it was good for my expectations… It is the new ID4 for many.

Newman
    Participant

So I went to see Transformers last night with Batman from the forums and my friend Joe. Let me just clear something up first, I was totally deprived as a child and never had the cool cartoons such as transformers and the like, so I didn’t know the background and stuff. That being said, it was a dam good movie, I enjoyed it from start to finish. Which is hard to do because film writers enjoy to delay action, where this was all action. Tid-bits of comedy were alright. And I’d totally do that chick that the dude was with. (fucking bad with names…and descriptions)

Basicly, I really enjoyed the movie, and will more than likely buy it on dvd when it drops in 6 years.

digitaltopia
    Participant

I agree with Rob about Batman Begins. Batman Begins makes all the other Batman movies look like nothing. As for Transformers, I haven’t seen it yet, though I’m going to rather soon. Which I guess makes my post somewhat invalid for this thread. Oh well.

Bucho
    Participant
    rob wrote:
    Another review — that I actually agreed with, and it made me laugh a lot, too.

Quote:
    DIE HARD was a blockbuster/popcorn/summer/event movie. So was ALIENS. And TERMINATOR 2. RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. STAR WARS. JAWS. ROAD WARRIOR. PREDATOR. ROBOCOP. TOTAL RECALL. THE MATRIX. LORD OF THE RINGS. You people who like your BATMAN and SPIDER-MAN and X-MEN and SUPERMAN and James Bond and LETHAL WEAPON… these are all big event movies, many of them timeless, many of them clever, well-crafted, some of them masterpieces. I am not being pretentious, I am not expecting too much, these are mainstream, crowd pleasing movies and they are what you used to hope for when you went to a summer movie. You can’t realistically expect a movie as good as ALIENS every time, but that’s better than resigning to the idea that “summer movie” equals “horribly made infantile disposable pap” and being excited about it anyway.

And I thought I was being harsh…

I hope I didn’t scare you guys off — I just didn’t care for the movie. Don’t feel scared to disagree…

That’s a great way to put the argument right there.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

El Rustirino
    Participant

First it was Daniel, now it’s Shia..

Rob’s little boy crusade marches on

rob
    Participant

Shia’s 21. I wouldn’t consider him a boy. You, Mr. “Hey, everyone I’m 14 and it’s my birthday!”, would still count as a boy. Where do you live, Rusty? 😉

batman
    Participant

k like newman said we went and saw it on tuesday night and i thought it was awesome mind you just like newman i only got three channels for the first 12 years of my life so didnt really know much of the storyline, kinda watched beast wars but other than that nothin, just got back from seeing it again tonight, and it was still almost as good as the first time aside from knowing a few parts were coming, but if you havent seen it do it NOW!

El Rustirino
    Participant
    rob wrote:
    Shia’s 21. I wouldn’t consider him a boy. You, Mr. “Hey, everyone I’m 14 and it’s my birthday!”, would still count as a boy. Where do you live, Rusty? 😉

I haven’t been keeping track of him. But Even Stevens was awesome, so yeah.

lol you wish robby

El Rustirino
    Participant

Yeah, I saw it, and it kicked ass.

That is all.

Bucho
    Participant

Saw it last night and as much as I agree that it could have been at least 20% better very easily with better writing, I liked it for the most part. Funny Rob should bring up the piss jokes (the dog vs OP and Ironhide or Jazz vs John Turturro right?), those annoyed me too, almost as much as the kid in the car on the highway when OP is fighting one of the Decepticons and the kid turns to his terrified mother like, “Mom cool.” I hated that little half a second of failed cutsie manipulation more than anything I’ve seen in the movies for years because it was more fake to me than the idea of transforming machine aliens. But mostly, I did enjoy myself and laughed a whole bunch.

Let’s be clear that it’s as dumb as a plank and has plotholes bigger than Megatron’s cave, and it’s packed to the gunnels with Bay cheese. The blonde hacker chick and the army dude were boring and Turturro did his best with a lame duck character, and half the time the fight scenes were a mess visually but mostly I could take it all in because of the dreaded low-expectations syndrome and Shia Leboef and his parents were great (not to mention Megan Fox coming across hotter ‘n a picnic on Mercury).

But I had those low expectations especially because I’d seen the coolness of Raiders only days before and reading reviews like Rob’s from film fans I trust, I was ready to scoff and feel like I was wasting my time. But I like Armageddon, The Rock and Bad Boys, and while I haven’t seen The Island and I hate Pearl Harbour I have no real problems with Bay’s style. In fact I mostly love that cheese, the shots and the music, the cutting and use of slomo … I’m along for that ride and me and my brother laughed out loud as much at those shots as I did at the jokes, I was having a good time.

I totally get where fans like Rob are coming from because I’ve felt the exact same thing about film/tv/songs before, and I can see how there’s anger at a monumentally dumb film like this. But I think Bay is at his best with shallow material and as much as this is the supreme example of style over substance I was ready to go on that ride on that particular night so I had fun. (On the plus side, it’s projects like this that help to fund the more interesting and challenging films down the line. Without sacrifice, there’s no victory. OHHHHH!!!!)

(Saw trailers for Die Hard 4 (yeah it still hasn’t come out in NZ) which looked cool, Bourne Ultimatum which I think will be cool but which was a boring trailer. Those films will shit all over Transformers as far as storytelling goes but it somehow won’t diminish the big dumb fun I had last night.)

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.