:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Is Flash Player breakin’ yo shit?

• Comments Off on Is Flash Player breakin’ yo shit?

Is Flash Player breakin’ yo shit?

Latest Replies Forums The Orange Lounge Is Flash Player breakin’ yo shit?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Version3
    Keymaster

I don’t know about any of the rest of you, but Flash has been more than just a thorn in my side the last week or so. Recently I finally allowed Adobe Updater to fuck up my computer, and Flash Player (plugin) and Adobe Air haven’t been the same since. Basically, when I visited Mac Rumors, this site and some others, Flash banners would hold up the page build, and just stall the browser completely. It would stay in this state, and a force-quit was the only solution. It was happening on both Firefox and Safari.

A little research revealed that I’m totally not alone, and a ton of people have experienced this (and similar) on OSX, and it’s really because Adobe is doing an even worse job of developing for our platform than Macromedia was. So, the solution is to rollback one version apparently (and it worked for me). Since I added the ad banners to this site, I didn’t want you guys to suffer through the breakage without a flashlight, so here it is.

Link to the VersionTracker article: http://www.versiontracker.com/php/feedback/article.php?story=20090228183124393

Link to the Flash player uninstaller for OSX: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157

Link to the Flash player archive for OSX: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14266

Download the player 10 zip archive, and once you open it, you can install 10r12_36 for Mac. This is the one I ran, and it fixed it for me.

Technical bunch of shit, I know, but if you guys were having the same problem I was, you would be pissed. I tried just disabling Flash, but I needed it for too many projects, and I use it for what I do for a living as well. This is a band-aid for a broken product.

Hope I help someone with this.

Newman
    Participant

Great info Bryan, I haven’t had this issue myself probably because I run with AdBlock Plus on Firefox, but now I know where I can find a solution should the issue every arise.

Larkitect
    Participant

i’m with newman in that i use firefox with all the flash controlling add-ons. but i just wanted to say that’s very cool of you to post this. i’m sure it will save some people a lot of headache.

My essence still senses Bucho's women.

Version3
    Keymaster

I’d love to disable the majority of it… but like I said. Because of what I do, I typically deal with all of it so that I can stay ‘plugged in’ to what others are doing.

digitaltopia
    Participant

It works fine on Linux.

If you want to try the FlashBlock add-on for FireFox, it doesn’t completely disable Flash. It puts a little box with an icon in it where the Flash component is supposed to be, and if you want to view that Flash component all you have to do is click on the icon and it’ll load the component for you, so that way you can choose which Flash components you want.

Pa-ul
    Participant

I want the component where a woman ‘Flashes’ her boobies, but that’s just me………and maybe Rob.

If it doesn’t work, jam a screwdriver in there and jiggle it about.

Version3
    Keymaster

Well, I figured I’d provide an update to this thread. It looks like the latest version that they released Jul 30th may have addressed some of these issues for Intel OSX. The advice is of course that you still use the uninstall tool before installing the latest version of Flash to avoid issues. I’m going to take the plunge I suppose, you’ll see me on here bitching about how much I hate Flash player if it fails. Sucks that I was hired at this job to develop content for a product I hate.

Version3
    Keymaster

It’s pre-release, but a new version of Flash player is out to day, which is supposed to suck less for OSX. Mainly, there is a quantifiable performance change. I hope it’s true, because I’m tired of that plugin bogging my CPU down.

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer10/flashplayer10_1_p1_mac_111709.dmg

digitaltopia
    Participant

Thanks for the heads-up. I just downloaded this for Linux. So far Flash in Linux hasn’t used the GPU, so hopefully this will improve performance.

Larkitect
    Participant

ah… nice. thank you good sir.

My essence still senses Bucho's women.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.