:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

I wish I could do this (Rob, you may find it funny)

• Comments Off on I wish I could do this (Rob, you may find it funny)

I wish I could do this (Rob, you may find it funny)

Latest Replies Forums The Orange Lounge I wish I could do this (Rob, you may find it funny)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Frank
    Participant

I think I’m pretty sure how they did this in Photoshop, but man, I never have the time to do it. Some folks at one of our sister papers did this.

Sprint-squeeze.jpg.

Version3
    Keymaster

Do I get to comment? 😀

Frank
    Participant

Absolutely.

rob
    Participant

I’m guessing that they’re saying that Sprint sucks or something. Media’s been beating on us for a while.

Version3
    Keymaster

There are a lot of filters out there that will provide a ‘twist’ type effect, even some of the built-in PS stuff will give you an effect like this if you work at it. My problem with it is that there are SO many things wrong with it, that it just looks a tad cheesy. You’d be surprised what shading will do for any “photochop’ or digital manipulation. I know that most of the time these are conceptual images, and as long as they get the message across, the image detail is often irrelevant. I just don’t agree with it.

Anyway, my quick view of it says it’s the hands (in the wrong position to hold something by the way) are on a higher layer, followed by two layers of phone, the ‘face’ and the ‘back’ both with the same filter applied with one ‘reversed’ / both images used in one twist filter to get the front/back look. After that the hands just had a basic drop shadow applied to them, which gives a really bad 2-d shadow effect, that is far too uniform, and not contrasted enough to be real… especially with those high-contrast well lit hands. Speaking of shadow, does the phone have any at all? I don’t really have much problem with the falling stuff, they wanted to depict motion and just threw the motion blur at them to achieve it. I think I’d have done it differently, but then I’m dork enough to want them to look like a slow shutter speed caught people actually problem, rather than trying to create a photo-realistic set of ‘illustration-like’ movement lines.

But… every artist does it different. This just looks like less experience, or less effort to me. You could do this Frank, I’m sure of it.

Version3
    Keymaster

I’m a criticizing prick sometimes, huh?

Frank
    Participant

I feel the same as you, Bryan. If you know what you’re looking for, you can tell there are issues there. But with me having to do several pages (design) a night, I never have the time to be as creative as I want to be. If they actually give me more than a day to work on something, chances are, I can make something decent (not spectacular, but decent) out of it.

I will say, however humbly as I can, that I did manage to win the South Carolina Press Association first place award for special section design with our high school football section (this was announced last week). Most categories (reporting, headline writing, that sort of thing) are placed in categories based on circulation size, so the big papers won’t crush the little papers. I work for a medium-sized paper here. For special sections, however, you’re going up against every newspaper in the state, no matter what circulation. Bigger newspapers had like six or seven people working on their sections. For us, it was just me. My theme? I made all of our area high school football coaches into bobble head dolls, put them on a playing field and called the thing “Head Games.”

I am shocked I won first place. I thought I might get an honorable mention at the very least.

Anyway, my two cents, for what they’re worth.

rob
    Participant

Congrats, Frank.

With someone like Bryan’s experience, it’s hard to compare. You can tell the real Photoshop geniuses from the rest by the lack of seams. Like you look at it and go, okay, I have no idea how that was done. And Bryan and Jerry frequently show that they have the goods.

When you have someone as much of an amateur as yours truly, see an image and instantly know how it was done, well, that shows you that the artist is probably an amateur as well.

Pa-ul
    Participant
    Version3 wrote:
    I’m a criticizing prick sometimes, huh?

If it wasn’t for critics, how could we better ourselves!

If it doesn’t work, jam a screwdriver in there and jiggle it about.

Version3
    Keymaster

That’s really fantastic Frank… it’s always nice to not only get recognition of the ‘big guys’ but over a team (not that any of them are not good too) really does a lot for someone’s self worth, and how they value the effort they put into their work. I think that your section actually sounds pretty fun, especially when you consider the audience (how are driven by a few fundamentals that likely rarely involve light humor). I’d really enjoy a peak at that section… link? I promise I’m not looking to grade it, I’m just interested in what the peers that rewarded you got a chance to see. 🙂

Frank
    Participant

If you promise not to laugh, because I really didn’t think much about this until they announced the awards. I still have no idea how this thing beat the bigger newspapers in the state.

http://tinyurl.com/2rn8ey

Version3
    Keymaster

It’s really fun! I like it. Now remember, creativity is in the idea, not the detailed execution. You aren’t a graphic artist for a living, yet you’ve managed to convey your message, and cleverly entertain the audience with the very vehicle designed to introduce that message. I can see why it’s a recognized accomplishment. You got an award from what sounds like your peers, not mine. I think it’s good work man.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.