:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Google Chrome OS

• Comments Off on Google Chrome OS

Google Chrome OS

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder Google Chrome OS

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    digitaltopia
    Participant

Google has decided to create their own Linux-based distro. Even though they already have Android, which is based on Linux, this new OS they’re creating is meant to run on desktops as well as netbooks. Even though the focus will be on the web, I imagine because it’ll still be a Linux OS running on a desktop you should still be able to use whatever client software you want.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html

El Rustirino
    Participant

Excited about this.

Version3
    Keymaster

It will be really kick ass on netbooks, in the case of people using them for what they are designed for. This OS is a long way from being able to replace the average person’s dependence on mainstream OSs, but you have to start with one step, yes?

Meanwhile, I successfully have Derryk’s netbook running OSX Leopard, CS4 and all the shitz. It’s pretty cool, for a little fucker.

digitaltopia
    Participant

I’ve been an Ubuntu fan for a long time, but I’m for anything that helps to push Linux further along.

The thing I don’t like about Google is even though the majority of their business runs on Linux and open source, they tend to take a lot longer with their Linux stuff. Chrome came out for Windows a long time ago, but there still isn’t a full release version available for Linux. Of course it makes sense to support the platform that has the most users first, but still, their Linux support could be more robust.

But perhaps releasing their own Linux OS will increase their support for the platform as well, and if it brings Linux to more people and makes it more popular, then it’s all good in my book.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.