:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

General Podcasting Question

• Comments Off on General Podcasting Question

General Podcasting Question

Latest Replies Forums The Orange Lounge General Podcasting Question

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Bing
    Participant

The only podcast I really listen to is Switched On, I like the “you are there with the guys” appeal to it….I’ve tried a few shows that try to emulate the formula but I haven’t found anything even close to this good.

Scatt’s “horse drownings” could be a contender when he and the misses (cassandra maybe?) are both on the show, but Scatt doesn’t follow a regular schedule..

A little known ‘cast called WPOT is fun and has great music (sounds like what Frank and I wanted to accomplish with the ill-fated WDCK Radio) but they only have done two shows and #2 is basically #1 improved and better edited.

Nate and Di are good when they are being the “alter-egos” whatever that means, but I don’t care for political rants and fundraising..(no offense guys, you really do a good show)

so help me out here,

what else is out there? anything good?

I don’t mean link to your show, I want to know what you listen to..

YouFollowMe
    Participant

I listen to Mysterious Universe, which is a cool show that looks at paranormal stuff like UFO’s, Bigfoot, and Rosie O’Donnell’s ass.

Oh yeah, I listen to Scott Sigler’s books too.

El Rustirino
    Participant

Twisted Pickle.

Octavious
    Participant

Twisted Pickle, GuyCast and Wreckless Media Radio (but they show there age).

digitaltopia
    Participant

Sometimes I listen to the silence of the night or the soft hum of fans. As I lay in my bed. Alone.

rob
    Participant
    digitaltopia wrote:
    Sometimes I listen to the silence of the night or the soft hum of fans. As I lay in my bed. Alone.

Is it wrong that I kinda laughed at that?

I’m only subscribed to three other podcasts — Official Lost, Horse Drownings, and Jim Gaffigan’s. HD has been on his hiatus, Jim’s hasn’t been updated since December, and Lost probably won’t have another until the San Diego Comic-Con.

I used to listen to the Twisted Pickle, but his format got a little old to me (nothing like a little constructive criticism, Corbs). I guess — when he started coming on our show — I lost interest in his, since it’s so rehearsed. It lost that drunken Corby feel.

That’s probably not much help, but after laughing with Bryan and Jerry — everything seems so much calmer, watered-down, and much less spontaneous. Of course, I haven’t made much time looking for one, either…

digitaltopia
    Participant
    rob wrote:
    digitaltopia wrote:

Is it wrong that I kinda laughed at that?

I’m only subscribed to three other podcasts — Official Lost, Horse Drownings, and Jim Gaffigan’s. HD has been on his hiatus, Jim’s hasn’t been updated since December, and Lost probably won’t have another until the San Diego Comic-Con.

I used to listen to the Twisted Pickle, but his format got a little old to me (nothing like a little constructive criticism, Corbs). I guess — when he started coming on our show — I lost interest in his, since it’s so rehearsed. It lost that drunken Corby feel.

That’s probably not much help, but after laughing with Bryan and Jerry — everything seems so much calmer, watered-down, and much less spontaneous. Of course, I haven’t made much time looking for one, either…

You were supposed to laugh at that.

Bing
    Participant
    digitaltopia wrote:

Really? I thought the crying noise would drown out the fan..

NBLIANGW

I’m having one of those “mess with people” days, so sorry.

Bucho
    Participant

Yeah Bing, there is a lot of cack out there to wade through. Once I realised Scatt’s ramblings were worth dealing with a few belches for I fell for Horse Drownings too. Then the cruel bastard stopped making them. The closest thing I know to SOS is the CHUDshow, which Scatt pointed me towards a little while ago. It’s from the CHUD movie geek site and these three or four guys talk about films and crack each other up in a kind of SOS fashion. It’s the only show that’s even come close to making me go into spasms of laughing the way SOS does but it seems like a three weekly or monthly show, it’s not regular and you also don’t get the same feeling of brotherhood as SOS. But if two SOS fans recommend it it’s gotta be worth checking out right?

The other podcasts that are most consistently quality to me are both British. Russell Brand’s BBC2 radio show is something of an aquired taste but the way he and his producer banter and interact with each other and callers always entertains me and Russell’s persona/character is compelling in a funny way. He also has one of the most astounding vocabularies I know of at his disposal and he deploys it with a very fast wit. The other one is called Weekend Watches, where two poms with awesome accents talk about movies and tv and a few rants and tangents in a relaxed way I’ve really grown to love.

I guess if you’ve tried comedy podcasts you’ll know by now if you like the top dogs like KATG (mostly entertaining) and NLO (mostly boring) but really none of them are up with SOS and CHUD as far as busting my guts.

digitaltopia wrote:
    You were supposed to laugh at that.

I did too man. I hope you’re going to keep making your files too dude, I’ve been listening to a lot of old shows lately and you were one of the first regular contributors and sent in so much funny stuff over the SOS-era. You haven’t done your own show for a long time though either right?

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

digitaltopia
    Participant

I’m glad you liked my contributions :).

It’s true I haven’t done anything with the show in a while. Or I should say, I haven’t posted anything new to it in a while. I did recently record a new little blurb basically talking about some various changes and a return of the show, but I haven’t put it up yet.

As the last few shows demonstrated, I was thinking of bringing the show back in more of a technology / games / entertainment kind of way, so I’m not sure how funny it will actually be.

And as for me making more files, never fear! I just got a new mixer yesterday, so there’s much more to come.

Bucho
    Participant

That sounds cool, like I said up there a couple of my favourite shows are mostly based off not just being pure comedy but sparking some funny off a core focus so you could make a nice show that way, either riffing on the subjects or recording the kind of bits you’ve sent to SOS but based in your subject.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

thx_1227
    Participant

Well, I don’t listen to many. Imperial Holonet Radio is a great one if you like Star Wars. Voice of the Republic is too.

digitaltopia
    Participant
    thx_1227 wrote:
    Well, I don’t listen to many. Imperial Holonet Radio is a great one if you like Star Wars. Voice of the Republic is too.

Do they ever fight?

thx_1227
    Participant

Surprisingly, no.

digitaltopia
    Participant

I would think they would throw microphones at each other, and rub each other down with the Force.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.