:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Format Wars: Die your Rebel Scum!

• Comments Off on Format Wars: Die your Rebel Scum!

Format Wars: Die your Rebel Scum!

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder Format Wars: Die your Rebel Scum!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Version3
    Keymaster

It may just be rumor at this point, but Toshiba to pull out of HD-DVD?

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/02/15/toshiba_rumored_to_quit_hd_dvd_as_wal_mart_pulls_support.html.

rob
    Participant

Well, in the last two days, Best Buy has said that even though they’ll carry both formats, they will strongly push Blu, NetFlix is not offering HD-DVDs anymore, and Wal-Mart has stated that by early summer, they will no longer carry HD-DVD players. Nice.

I’ve refrained from really commenting on all of this until now, simply because it’s so damn annoying. It’s like it’s finally taken all of the retailers all this time to figure out that Blu’s the best way to go. There are some people who have stated that they have been denied the 5 free movies you get when purchasing one of the new players. It just needs to be over now.

Now what would be cool, and file this under “it’ll never happen”, but if all of the studios would give you a coupon for $10 or $15 off Blu-Ray versions of the movies people have purchased in HD-DVD when they come available — it would really get customers back in the mood, even if they bought into HD-DVD and feel irritated.

I looked at my collection last night — I have 18 Blu-Ray movies and/or sets (the big bad Harry Potter set is counted as one) and 13 HD-DVDs. Now of those, six I got for free (King Kong came with my player, and the standard 5 free). So by that rationale, I’ve had both formats, and have only purchased seven HD-DVDs vs. 18 Blu-Rays. And I’m irritated that I have to buy those again on Blu-Ray (if you think I’m going to keep my HD-DVD Xbox add-on, you’re fuckin’ crazy. I absolutely hate that thing).

Frank
    Participant

Just wait until Lucas re-re-re-releases the entire Star Wars series on Blu-Ray. Yeah, that’ll be an expensive chunk of money, but would be fun to watch in hi-def.

Octavious
    Participant
    Frank wrote:
    Just wait until Lucas re-re-re-releases the entire Star Wars series on Blu-Ray. Yeah, that’ll be an expensive chunk of money, but would be fun to watch in hi-def.

**Hand raised in the air** I am a Lucas whore, I am a Lucas whore!

Frank
    Participant

EWOKS IN HIGH DEFINITION!

Version3
    Keymaster

Well, the prequels will have real added value at least.

thx_1227
    Participant

Man, just thinking about some of those scenes in Hi Def gives me chills…

Octavious
    Participant

In my Sunday paper, it announce that Wal-Mart is going Blu-Ray.

thx_1227
    Participant

Toshiba dropped HD DVD, looks like it is over…

Version3
    Keymaster

Yeah, Rob posted on it too, but in the wrong thread.

Version3
    Keymaster
    rob wrote:
    So, Toshiba at 5 pm Tokyo time announced that they’re out of it, and just mere hours ago, Universal announced that they will be supporting Blu now. Strange that they were the only one in HD-DVD from the beginning, and they beat Paramount to announce their Blu support.

For a second there, I felt a little sorry for Toshiba, but you know, they can bounce back, especially since Sony bounced back from Betamax.

All I have to say is, it’s about motherfucking time.

Sony only bounced back because of Walkman and Pro video Beta/Beta SP. Toshiba is a big brand, but if they have too much invested in HD-DVD, they will be scrambling to be the “it”company at something. I wonder what it will be.

rob
    Participant

Yeah, sorry about that — I lost my connection and just posted in the wrong thread like a moe-ron.

Toshiba said something about staying in the high-def stuff, maybe to support Microsoft in their on-demand stuff, who knows.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.