:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Firefox Extensions of Worth

• Comments Off on Firefox Extensions of Worth

Firefox Extensions of Worth

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder Firefox Extensions of Worth

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    El Rustirino
    Participant

Do you use any FF extensions? I’m looking to cram my Faux with any extensions that may be of value.

And if you’re not using Firefox, you perplex me.

Version3
    Keymaster

Safari is faster, and is a better user experience for me. The main benefit is the native iPhone sync. I use FF only when a site is coded poorly.

I do have a few FF extensions installed, since I use it every time I’m working on a site design. I use Firebug, Google Gears and RSS and Page Validator. I was using Video Ook! until the upgrade broke it. Now I have to go back to outboard tools to yank video from the interpipes. I have Universal Uploader installed, but I don’t know that I’ve ever used it. I’ve got a few others installed mostly tools for designing/coding sites, even one to replace Ook, but I’ve never used it. You should check out GSpace if you haven’t already, lets you use your Gmail account as an online storage drive. I have .Mac so I don’t use it, but it’s cool anyway.

I always say I’m going to switch to FF all of the time, but I just don’t… probably mostly due to iPhone junk. But I definitely really like the browser. I think anyone not using it on Windows doesn’t like themselves very much.

padawaneagle
    Participant

🙄 Safari isn’t even stable on the Mac. Why the heck are you using Safari as your primary browser? Why don’t you jsut use it when you need to sync something to your iPhone?

rob
    Participant

Do you have a Mac? I don’t have any problems ever with Safari.

padawaneagle
    Participant

Use them all the time in the art department at school. Hate them….with a burning passion. Macs and nearly everything associated with them. I’ve been using Windows and IE since 96 or 97….The ratio of times that safari has failed on me in three years is more impressive than everything IE has hit me with in 11 or 12 years.

Version3
    Keymaster

It’s very likely that the admin in the school art department aren’t as skilled with their Macs (or they are trying to “over administrate” them). Safari is incredibly stable on OSX. Now, I will say that since the move to Intel I feel like Apple computers are a little less reliable overall, but I think that is a debate better suited for the hardware platform than the OS/Software, particularly since many of the issues are exactly the same as users of 32-bit Windows see.

Hate them? Well, there are plenty of art folks that manage to get work done on PCs, however among freelancers they are in the slight minority and in agency environments they appear in the vast minority. If you are headed the 3D route, you’ll probably be comfortable continuing to love your OS of choice, however if you plan to be outside of it you’ll likely never escape the Mac.

IE is a bad basis for comparison for any browser (unless you are making a case for why your other browser of choice is better). It has shit support for anything, and will continue to be the blackeye of Microsoft’s software efforts, as it continues to assume it’s the defining user experience for the internet. Nothing annoys most of the designers I know more, than dealing with “special” cases involving IE. It’s been that way forever.

I’m with Rusty, FF is THE browser to use, I just happen to still use Safari the most. The nice thing is, Webkit is going to become more and more commonplace under the current direction of browser development, and even browsers that are not Safari will begin to be faster, and similar in the positive aspects of Apple’s browser. Already Adobe has adopted Webkit for Dreamweaver’s rendering engine in the next release. I’m a fan of that.

padawaneagle
    Participant

I can respect Firefox…I cannot respect safari…I understand that people hate IE…its just what works for me. A lot of people have bad problems with MS computers….I’ve just had an amazing streak of good luck as far as computers go.

No I don’t plan to go into 3-d art, I’m interested in going into pharmacy. And yes I hate Macs, I hate the interface, I hate the stupid mouse…I hate nearly everything about them

El Rustirino
    Participant

When I get back from school, we’re going to have a long talk about computers, young man.

A long talk.

With spankings.

rob
    Participant

Wow, such venom. Mac hate as I have never seen. I had more of a dislike for them before I actually started using them, I felt like it was much easier to ignore them than it would have been to learn about them. And I thought that I had my Windows experience under control. I had a really fast running computer at the time, because I didn’t run any antivirus or anything like that.

But once I started using a Mac, I realized how much of Windows had been lifted from Mac and done not as well. Like using your cellphone as a flashlight — it gets the job done, sure, but not nearly as easy to use. But hey, you’re entitled to love Windows as much as you like, just don’t expect me to understand it.

padawaneagle
    Participant
    El Rustirino wrote:
    When I get back from school, we’re going to have a long talk about computers, young man.

A long talk.

With spankings.

Young man? Try again.

El Rustirino
    Participant
    padawaneagle wrote:
    El Rustirino wrote:

A long talk.

With spankings.

Young man? Try again.

Even better.

padawaneagle
    Participant

So why were you looking forewards so much to spanking a young man anyways? 😉

Bing
    Participant

I usually do it just to pass the time…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.