:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Ever consider relocating?

• Comments Off on Ever consider relocating?

Ever consider relocating?

Latest Replies Forums The Orange Lounge Ever consider relocating?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Version3
    Keymaster

Well, have you? Like really relocating… move the family, new job, new house, new town… have ya?

Where would you go?.

rob
    Participant

I’m guessing this is hypothetical. Cupertino would be nice, considering I like tech shit. England would be cool cause it’s motherfucking cool. Not really considered it heavily, though, since April brings home the proverbial bacon.

Version3
    Keymaster

Nah, I was actually thinking a step or two deeper than hypothetical.

Rather than the “if you could live anywhere” bit, my question is have you ever considered relocating. The defining factor being less of the ideal, and more of the pros and cons, and the decisions, research and thought that has to go into something like that.

rob
    Participant

There has to be that big job there that would make me move. As much as I might bitch about the weather, this is my home. But that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t move for that perfect job. For someone like you, that decision is more than that — I believe you could find a job like that, but with children, that decision is that much harder to make.

Bucho
    Participant

I’ve been thinking about moving to Australia for the last couple of years, specifically Queensland state, probably Brisbane. Better weather, better pay, better tax system is most of it, and it’s much less convoluted visa-wise than going to Britain or The States.

The only real con is being further away from my family and that’s a big enough con to me so far that I’m still about 70-30 in favour of staying put for the next couple of years at least.

My ideal would be to live in Brazil for three or four years. Obviously that’s even further away from my family but ideal means earning enough $ to be able to travel back to NZ for three weeks every year. Also I would have a hovercraft.

Where are you looking at Bryan?

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Version3
    Keymaster

Not looking at anywhere that I specifically ‘want’ to live, but with the job market not necessarily supporting my needs, the wife and I have discussed the need to “widen the net” and include other markets. And if we do, what would we be open to. There really aren’t any local Texas markets that I’d want to move to, Austin would be okay. But for work, only a few places are going to offer more opportunity than DFW and those are NY, Chicago, San Francisco and LA. Houston is a big city, but has no more Creative needs than our city. I’d prefer not to deal with “real cold” so the west coast was pretty much the only thing we were questioning if looking seriously at that kind of move was worth our time.

The big holdback for me, is my oldest kiddo. I don’t want to only see him 1 or 2 times a year, and with all forms of travel going up in cost, I’d have to plan ahead for it each time as well. However, I don’t like counting out change to pay bills either, ya know? As long as that potential is out there, I have to make sure I’m looking at all of my options. I’m still working all leads here first, and I’d have to have a job offer and likely a relocation package to even do it.

So I was just interested in what other people have gone through when thinking about this. I wasn’t quite at the point of looking for a sounding board yet as Rob probably assumed, but Bucho that was what I was interested in from others. It’s the, not only where would you go, but maybe why, or how far have you really looked into the process.

Bucho
    Participant

Yeah, that’s a real tough when you think about moving so far out of his neighborhood, especially during such an important formative stage of his life. I don’t have anything as big as that on either side of the scales so your situation is definitely a harder call for you to make.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.