:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Dumbledore

• Comments Off on Dumbledore

Dumbledore

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder Dumbledore

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Octavious
    Participant

We all now know about Albus. Can you imagine if he was the Paw-Paw of the Wizard World?.

rob
    Participant

Oof. I think I called it, though. Anyone remember, “Oh, Harry!”

Bucho
    Participant

Remember? Shit dude it was the first thing I thought of when I heard. That and about 473 bad wand jokes.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Frank
    Participant

Okay, here’s my take on this shit. I’ve now officially read (well, listened to all the audio books read by Stephen Fry) and my question is this: Why is Dumbledore’s sexual preference an issue? The only time I can think of when it would even come up is when we learn about his past and about his the other wizard (can’t remember his name) that he had to fight. So can some one please explain to me why now, after all this, Rowling decided to say “Oh yeah, he’s gay!”

On a different note, did you read about her new project? Where she’s actually writing the book Hermione read in the last book? But she’s only will print seven books: one goes up for auction and the rest will go to her friends. WTF????? AAARRRGHHHHHH!!!!!!

I’m just a little fed up about all this.

Bing
    Participant

IMHO

The whole Harry Potter thing is way hyped and overblown to the extreme. So much so that I don’t want to read the books or even a summary of them nor do I have any desire to see the films. I’m saturated by it even though I don’t participate in it. This must be what people who aren’t interested in video games feel like at a Halo release…they just don’t get it, by choice or design.

Anyway, that’s my two cents for any of you queers that give a crap.

Much Non-Gay Love
    Bing

rob
    Participant

See, Frank — she was at a Q and A session in New York, and someone asked something along the lines of, “Love is a powerful force in the Harry Potter universe. Did Dumbledore ever find love?” To which she replied, “I always saw Dumbledore as gay, and he had an unrequited infatuation with Grindelwald.”

I thought the same thing when I found out. “What the fuck does this have to do with anything?” It’s not like she said it just to start some shit — it’s an honest answer to an honest question, and for some reason, people have blown it way out of proportion.

So, he’s gay. Does it really make a difference? I mean, does it make Ian McKellen a bad actor because he’s gay? I don’t think so.

And when you say, “fed up”, how do you mean, sir?

And Bing — I can understand. But it really is good stuff. Have Frank burn you a copy. They’re cool.

El Rustirino
    Participant

Rowling is a whore. Seriously.

rob
    Participant

Why, Rusty? She answered a question. That’s all. It’s the media that’s trying to make a story out of it. It was meant to be an interesting fact. Notice how the media hasn’t reported at all about her talking about Dumbledore’s brother and his fascination with goats (and, I’m really not kidding about that).

El Rustirino
    Participant

Hm. I don’t know, it really seems like she’s milking it for all it’s worth instead of moving on to something different. And making stupid decisions – like the 7 books thing. What the hell was that?

I’m probably just being stupid right now, but I’m just getting that vibe from her. The media-whore vibe.

rob
    Participant

Huh? Have you read the books? Like…it was always going to be seven books.

I thought it was the same way until I read the transcript where she made the statement. It didn’t seem planned at all to me.

I actually think that so far it’s been pretty negative for her, but the publicists out there might argue that there’s no such thing as bad publicity. I don’t know…you really could argue it either way, but I’ve listened to and watched enough interviews to think that she’s pretty sincere.

But who cares, right? It’s really silly that it has been paraded around like it’s actual news.

El Rustirino
    Participant

No, the book that she published seven copies of. Have you heard of that?

And there’s no real evidence – it’s just a feeling I’m getting lately. Something I don’t want to get, because, while she’s not my favorite author, she did create one of the series I grew up on. I dunno, she’s not that great of a writer. She came up with an amazing story, though.

Maybe I’m feeling this way because of all the attention the media’s giving her, attention she shouldn’t get, and that’s not her fault.

But it could be something different entirely.

rob
    Participant

Maybe you just need a nap. Or a fruit cup.

Oh, those seven. Yeah, I don’t know. I guess I just figure that she can do what she wants.

Frank
    Participant

Here’s my take (again):

I actually really did enjoy the books. I was a late bloomer (if you will) and really didn’t start picking up the books until just before the release of the Order of the Phoenix in the theaters. They are a bit long-winded (Shakespearean, if you will) to a certain degree, but overall, it kept my interest.

My dislike of the books in the beginning was for exactly the same reason Bing won’t read the books: Oversaturation. It was Harry Potter this and Harry Potter that and I just couldn’t bring myself to doing it. It wasn’t until a message on our board here so long ago that Rob recommended listening to the books narrated by Stephen Fry (which is the only ones I’d listen to just because he gets into each and every character so well).

What I’m trying to say is that, as a story as a whole, it was really fucking good. Take away all the hoopla surrounding it and I think even Bing would like it. But with the gay Dumbledore thing, again, it was just one of those things where I read it and said “And?” as though it didn’t really make all that much of a difference. It wasn’t written that Albus and Grindelwald had steamy boy-on-boy action (think Rusty and Armez) and, if it was implied, I simply didn’t read it that way.

But again, one last time, the books were really, really fucking good for what they were and it’s rare that I would say that about something so pop-cultury (if you will).

Octavious
    Participant
    rob wrote:
    Oof. I think I called it, though. Anyone remember, “Oh, Harry!”

Sorry, I didn’t have my thinking cap on.

Bing
    Participant

You mean your “GAY” cap

huh-huh-huh-huh….he said gay…huhuhuh

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.