:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Does anyone know?

• Comments Off on Does anyone know?

Does anyone know?

Latest Replies Forums The Orange Lounge Does anyone know?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Scatt
    Participant

Fuck sake man, this is driving me crazy. Every now and then, my mouse’s scroll-wheel changes properties to not scroll up and down folders and browser windows, but instead it flips through window history, like the back and forward browser buttons. When you go into Windows’ mouse properties in the control panel, it has no such control over this or anything like it. I tried fucking with the ‘about:config’ settings in Firefox, but it’s not just in web browsers. It’s in all windows. Does anyone have any knowledge about this type thing or how to go about finding better answers?

Octavious
    Participant

That I don’t know, but since the topic is “does anyone know”. Since I am going to be out of work for maybe no more than a week, does anybody know where I can a instrumental copy of the Bud Light’s Real Men of Genius/Real American Hero. I will promise you it will be funny.

rob
    Participant

Buy a Mac.

Oh, sorry, I was being prickish. I don’t know, Scatt. This might sound stupid, but — have you spilled any liquid on the keyboard? It sounds like the action of the scroll wheel might change depending on whether you’re holding shift or alt or something like that. I know once I had a problem like that where I had spilled some Dr. Pepper on my keyboard, and after cleaning it off, realized that one of the keys was sticking.

Just a though.

Scatt
    Participant

Nah, no spillage to my knowledge. No signs of it, at least. The part that is frustrating about this problem the most is that you try to use the best words in search engines to describe exactly what you’re looking for and nothing comes up, like no one in the world has had the same problem. I’m about to get all John Day up in this motherfucker… Nah, I’m cool.

Bucho
    Participant

I’ve never had that exact problem but I’ve had other random switches happen and I can’t fix them without switching off and rebooting. Having said that, I am a tech-retard.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Armez
    Participant

What kind of mouse?

You may want to consider reinstalling the driver if its acting really retarded (if you still have the installation cd)

Or you could buy a new mouse if that doesn’t work…

Version3
    Keymaster

Is your scroll wheel clickable? Click it, and see if the action changes. Is this a Microsoft Explorer mouse with 7 buttons or something? check that one of the thumb buttons is not sticking. You want to find out what key/click combinations undo this state, to figure out which ones cause it. Make sure that your scroll wheel doesn’t have left/right functionality, as that is commonly use to control history. Lastly, if the mouse has many settings you can configure, try setting it to a default profile, or “use defaults” to see if it works normally.

djohnson
    Participant

The first thing to check when mouse or key-presses are working strangely is to make sure you don’t have a stuck SHIFT, CONTROL or ALT key.

To do this, I will just tap on each of those keys for a second and then the behavior usually goes away. This happens semi-frequently on both my Mac and Windows machines…

Scatt
    Participant

I’ve got another mouse, but it’s wired and doesn’t reach the computer properly. This is the optical mouse I’ve used for about 3 or 4 years. I even have a nickname for it. “Old trusty”. Okay, that last part was made up. Unless it’s the kind that eats cheese and shit, it’d be kinda gay to name your mouse. It’s got two buttons and a clickable scrollwheel between (no left and right clicking and no side thumb buttons).

Last time this happened, I tried finding drivers for it — since I’ve never installed shit, I just plug that bitch in and work it work it — but the drivers weren’t available. So, I just tried again, and this time I found them, the problem is the program won’t start when I start it. It’s called iWheelWorks from A4 Tech. The shift, control, and alt keys aren’t stuck now that I’ve checked. It just pisses me off and I thought it was something that could be altered. It’s just kind of screwed up. It suddenly simultaneously scrolls down and right after browses window history. Come to think of it, there was a function when you clicked down on the wheel it would have a cursor symbol where you could scroll the page any direction by moving the mouse around. It was sweet. That doesn’t work anymore. I’m talking way too much about a fuckin’ mouse, so I’ll stop, but yeah, thanks for the ideas guys. I think I’ll try to go post funny shit now.

djohnson
    Participant

NEVER load mouse drivers. They’re completely unnecessary and in the case of Logitech mice, can even hose your system.

That being said. Mice cost like 10 bucks. Just go buy another one ya cheap SOB!

Scatt
    Participant

True dat. I just figured that the problem came in a way of something programmed in the computer, not the mouse. Thanks for the tip about the mouse drivers though. I’ve never heard that…

…and I’ll never hear it again *rips his own ears off!*

rob
    Participant

Scatt (in a couple of days): Myn mouse nworks fine nyow!

Bucho
    Participant

According to CNN a man successfully underwent a human/elephant ear transplant last year without complications so if you change your mind about the earless state of being there’s always that to consider. I’d have to nickname you Dumbo though so there could be a slight downside, what with the torment and all.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.