:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

District 9 / Alive In Joberg

• Comments Off on District 9 / Alive In Joberg

District 9 / Alive In Joberg

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder District 9 / Alive In Joberg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Bucho
    Participant

This is produced by Peter Jackson, from the guy who’s slated to make the Halo movie, South African Neill Blomkamp. It looks pretty intriguing.

Here’s the trailer

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/district9/

And here’s his 6 minute short film its based on.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1185812222812358837

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

digitaltopia
    Participant

I saw a preview for this when I went and saw Wolverine yesterday. It looks a bit different, like it’s done in more of a documentary format, but it looks good, and I really like Peter Jackson’s work.

Ivan
    Participant

My friend showed me alive in joburg a few years back. I pumped to see a full length film based on it

Bucho
    Participant

Thematically it comes across pretty on the nose I think, like the racial metaphors are right up front and shouting for attention instead of being organic drivers within the plot. I don’t know if subtlety is the order of the day. I’d still like to see it though, I’m down for any alien invasion massive spaceship goodstuff, and even though they’re our biggest rival next to Australia I secretly like the South African accent.

Bing
    Participant

Wow I totally missed this.

Bucho Saves!

Newman
    Participant

Looks pretty good, I’d probably go see it.

Bing
    Participant

I gotta admit the pixelation of the aliens does bug me. And the “biosuits” from the short film…ridiculous.

Stuart
    Participant

When I first saw the trailer I thought it was going to be for Childhoods End (novel by Arthur C. Clark, that’s supposed to be turned into a movie). Anyone ever read the book? It’s awesome. Then I noticed the resemblance to Independence day, which I hope to fuck it isn’t as bad as that piece of shit.
    I’m never going to get excited about this movie so I wont be disappointed by it.
    Anyone close enough to any place that’s showing Moon (starring Sam Rockwell) ???
    That looks like a decent movie, but it’s not showing over here in the UK until next month.

digitaltopia
    Participant

I’m guessing they won’t have the pixelation throughout the entire movie.

I read part of Childhood’s End, but it bugged me how the viewpoint kept switching from character to character, always to a new character, and it never went back to any of the older characters.

Stuart
    Participant

Yeah, that’s something that bothered me too, but the aliens kept me interested and after finishing it I was still confused about if they were evil or not. Like how at the end of 2001, when you’re not sure what the fuck is going on, but that’s something that keeps you interested.

Bucho
    Participant

@Stuart 40162 wrote:

Anyone close enough to any place that’s showing Moon (starring Sam Rockwell) ???
    That looks like a decent movie, but it’s not showing over here in the UK until next month.

Look on the bright side Stuart, it’s been the movie I’m most looking forward to seeing for months now but still no sign of an NZ release. In happier kiwi cinema news, next week ET finally hits our screens and man am I amped.

Newman
    Participant

Here’s a new trailer for District 9, this one shows the alien faces. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNr5qdQN5q4

Version3
    Keymaster

Yeah, the new trailer is some cool shit, yo!

Stuart
    Participant

@Bucho 40225 wrote:

Look on the bright side Stuart, it’s been the movie I’m most looking forward to seeing for months now but still no sign of an NZ release. In happier kiwi cinema news, next week ET finally hits our screens and man am I amped.

Aww man, ET’s a great movie, but you’re pumped about seeing that one.

This new trailer looks Bad Shamone 😎

Bing
    Participant

If you are waiting for Arthur C. Clarke movies then get in line. RAMA has been in limbo for like a gabazillion years.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.