:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Community

• Comments Off on Community

Community

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder Community

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Larkitect Larkitect 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Any of you gentlemen watch this show? Chevy Chase is hilarious enough, but pile a bunch of other funny peeps all over the top of him and sauce with some sharp writing and you got laughs-a-fucking-plenty.

This part reminded me of something Bryan would say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAQ4Q9GWGBE

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Really? Nobody? Is this on some backwater cable channel none of you cats have access to?

Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

It’s a primetime NBC show… and NBC is known for not being watched currently. I wanted to like this show, and even find small bits of it like this funny, but it’s commercial crap comedy for me, and I avoid it. I usually see the end scene like this though when I watch my DVR playback of The Office airing right after it.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

That’s really a surprise. I figured if you were going to dislike it it’d be for the opposite reason – that it’s too post-modernist and reference-heavy and deconstructionist and “clever”.

But to me Community seems like it’s made for someone with your tastes precisely because it appears, on the surface, like the mainstream comedy you despise, but then it actually runs to a kind of meta level where it takes the piss out of and comments (literally) on exactly the predictable commercial comedy tropes you don’t like. Just when I think a plot or a character is going down a Friends-esque comedy hole I’ve seen a hundred times another character will flat out say exactly what the audience is thinking and pull it out again.

Once you get amongst it it becomes apparent that it’s not as run-of-the-mill as it seems. I mean, what mainstream show have you ever seen that features stop-motion animation or references My Dinner With Andre by basing an episode on it? It just seems at a glance like a Two and a Half Men or Big Bang Theory cookie cutter type comedy because part of its MO is to deconstruct those things.

A lot of the humour really seems Switched ON-ish to me in that way because one of the things I love that you guys have often done is deconstruct TV and movie comedy tropes to create your own funny scenarios out of it. And like you guys Community gets increasingly surreal and left-field with it.

Larkitect
    Larkitect
    Participant

me and that show are like ships passing in the night. i haven’t intentionally avoided it, it’s just never been on my radar.

My essence still senses Bucho's women.

Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

Well, I guess they left all of the clever out of the first three episodes, or the US version had it all edited out. I actually think Joel McHale is kinda funny, but the show didn’t work for me. As I said, the last bit makes me laugh sometimes when I catch it, but not enough to sit through an episode of that. I did that a few times already, and I’m still looking for restitution.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

That’s the battle comedy shows always have to fight I guess. Almost all of them are dodgy for the first six or eight episodes while the writers and actors feel each other out and find the funniest way for their characters to interact.

The US Office is a perfect example of that actually, the first season is shithouse, but the second and third seasons are some of the best television ever. 30 Rock was the same – average for half a dozen episodes, but by the time the second half of that first season rolled around they were flying.

And speaking of battles comedy has to fight, I’m equally surprised you’re still watching The Office. You don’t think it’s dropped waaaaay off in quality since about the middle of Season 4? That’s about when I gave up on it I think. Or it might have been after the first couple of Season 5 episodes, I don’t remember.

It seems like every good comedy for me starts out shaky, finds its feet and then rocks its balls off for a season or two, then some time in season four or five the writers run out of fresh ideas and the characters become parodies of themselves. I guess The Simpsons is the most notorious example, but other big deals like Friends went the same way.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

This is nothin’ to do with nothin’, but …

tumblr_lmt15uuUOn1qb2e5vo1_500.jpg

Larkitect
    Larkitect
    Participant

reminds me of when i used to go visit my cousins.

Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

@larkitect 47404 wrote:

reminds me of when i used to go visit my cousins… only less tits and more cock -and tears.

TMI my friend.

Larkitect
    Larkitect
    Participant

you said “tears” but i read it as “tears” and it was just as funny as if you had said “tears” and i had read it as “tears”.

weird, huh?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.