:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

C-Bale Kicks Off

• Comments Off on C-Bale Kicks Off

C-Bale Kicks Off

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder C-Bale Kicks Off

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Bucho
    Participant

Here’s some audio recorded on the set of T4. Christian Bale going apeshit at the DoP and also addresses director McG who seems to be trying to calm him down.

http://www.aolcdn.com/tmz_audio/020209_christianbale.mp3

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

digitaltopia
    Participant

He’s asking the other guy if he’s professional? So many actors are just total prima donas and they don’t seem to recognize they have a job at the pleasure of the public. If people stopped watching their stuff and stopped giving money to stuff they were in, they wouldn’t get hired for parts anymore.

Bucho
    Participant

That’s true but the flipside is that some actors involve theselves so emotionally in their roles exactly because they care so much about how the public will view their performance. He’s not yelling at a member of the public remember, he’s yelling at a proffesional DP who is second only to the director in terms of behind-camera importance and who Bale says has already made the same fuck up earlier the same day

Not to say that he didn’t go too far, he does end up sounding like a douche, but he never struck me as a prima dona, more like an overly intense method actor type. Rather than not caring about the public, it seems like maybe he cares too much.

digitaltopia
    Participant

I can understand how having someone wander around behind you during a shot would be distracting, and how you really need to concentrate on the part to make it believable, but I do think he goes a bit overboard. Especially when he tells the guy near the end of the clip that his career is over. Sure the guy might have been annoying, but that seems like a bit much to me. As I understand it, at least from what I’ve heard, Bale is somewhat prone to fits of rage which means two things. First, I’m not that surprised by this. And second, it’s time to get a Christian Bale vs. Russel Crowe match going. First one what successfully fists the other wins.

Bucho
    Participant

Yeah, it’s that he goes on too long that messes it up for him, if he’d capped it after a minute it wouldn’t sound nearly as bad but this goes beyond just blowing off steam. Interesting that this apparently happened in July around the time The Dark Knight was about to hit theatres and also around the time his crazy mother and sister were dragging his name through the mud accusing him of assault for which he was subsequently cleared. I’d love to know what was going through his head in the moments before he busted this tirade out.

Speaking of a real life 3:10 To Yuma, who would you have your money on?

digitaltopia
    Participant

Russel Crowe. Christian Bale is a bit thinner and therefore perhaps a bit more agile, but I think the increased mass and solidity of Crowe would win out in the end.

Version3
    Keymaster

Bale was an ass. It doesn’t even matter to me if he has a “reason” for being bent, he was an ass. -And sorry guys, he’s not that good an actor either, he’s had some good roles, and has been okay, but he’s not a guy who should have this view of himself that he will end someone’s career. What’s missing from this, is if the DP was looking for someplace to add a camera or two to get some additional perspective, or for another purpose. Bale is just being a dick… and if you look back, he seems to be developing a history of this already.

For the most part, outside of the product of their craft, actors are people and people suck. That means that the vast majority of them suck, and are attention whores. They think too much of themselves off screen, and I’d love to be the one of the many voices of reason that reminds people that actors and entertainers are doing a job, and when they are not doing the job, they are just stupid ass people like everyone else. Who cares who they are fucking, who cares what they want… fuck them. They work for me as far as I’m concerned.

Version3
    Keymaster

I should add that I know it comes out ‘why’ the DP was walking around… but not until Bale flips out and calls him out on it.

So you caught the story of the recording, but did any of you catch the remix of it?

http://www.wwtdd.com/post.phtml?pk=18521

digitaltopia
    Participant

Dance party. He has some rhythm.

Here’s my own short version of it. First Christian Bale goes through puberty, then he gets progressively more excited.

http://www.digitaltopiashow.com/BaleGetsExcited.mp3

Bucho
    Participant
    Version3 wrote:
    Bale was an ass. It doesn’t even matter to me if he has a “reason” for being bent, he was an ass. -And sorry guys, he’s not that good an actor either, he’s had some good roles, and has been okay, but he’s not a guy who should have this view of himself that he will end someone’s career. What’s missing from this, is if the DP was looking for someplace to add a camera or two to get some additional perspective, or for another purpose. Bale is just being a dick… and if you look back, he seems to be developing a history of this already.

For the most part, outside of the product of their craft, actors are people and people suck. That means that the vast majority of them suck, and are attention whores. They think too much of themselves off screen, and I’d love to be the one of the many voices of reason that reminds people that actors and entertainers are doing a job, and when they are not doing the job, they are just stupid ass people like everyone else. Who cares who they are fucking, who cares what they want… fuck them. They work for me as far as I’m concerned.

Come oooon Bryan, who stacks up as good as C-Bale does in the acting stakes these days. Dan Day-Lewis? PS Hoffman? Bill Murray? Benicio Del Toro? I don’t think anyone is as consistently good as Hoffman but Bale’s in the top bracket with those other guys. He’s not a marquee name for me personally but I’ve never seen him be shit yet. He plays cheeseball comic book stuff like Batman, Shaft and Reign Of Fire well and he’s great in more character driven stuff like American Psycho and The Prestige.

And so what if the DP was looking for his grandmother’s priceless engagement ring up a tauntaun’s ass? Do that shit during blocking with the director, especially when you already have been asked not to walk around in the actors’ field of vision during the scene. Bale was an ass, I’m not making excuses for him and I’m not saying the DP deserved to be torn up like that. But Bale’s also never been the kind of magazine hogging attention whore you’re talking about and I don’t care how big their egos get as long as they entertain me and aren’t directly affecting my life. The job they’re doing for us isn’t to be Mr Nice Guy, it’s to deliver a performance and if the film is shit it’s Bale’s face on the box, not the DP. To me this sounds like Bale gives a lot of shits for his public.

Also, just like we don’t know context for this in terms of the DP’s excuse for repeating the same fuckup twice in one day or Bale’s state of mind, we also don’t know if Bale apologised later and admitted he was a douche. We also know the DP wasn’t fired. Judging him on that bullshit assault charge carries no water with me either, this so called reputation for being an asshole is not just irrelevant but is also founded on nothing we have enough information about to judge him personally anyway. To me this clip is just a bit of dramatic entertainment because people throwing tantrums cracks me up.

Maybe that’s one difference between us. We agree people in general are shit, but I usually laugh at that shitness and you rant at it. And then I normally laugh at you ranting at it because normally I agree with you.

El Rustirino
    Participant

On the one hand, yes, he does sound like he’s being a dick. On the other hand, when I see “tmz” in the URL, my trust in whatever is being presented as “truth” is demolished.

Version3
    Keymaster

Good point Rusty.

As far as the conclusions I draw of Bale in the matter… people are stupid. DPs can be stupid, actors can be stupid and everything in between on that set. What makes Bale a douche is that 1) he went ALL the way to biggest dick he could be, and threatened the guy over and over; not just bitched him out, threatened to beat his ass… way not cool on the job, I don’t care how mad you are. I’ve done it, and I was a dick when I did it, and I expected people to say I was a dick when I’ve done it, and I know I was 100% wrong the second I got that bad… so yes, he’s a huge douche because of this one alone. But… 2) he may not be in front of the papparazzi trying to get attention, but he was the same kind of actor when it came to trying to get his way on set; he tried to throw his weight around, threatened this guy’s job in front of his subordinates, his peers, and his various degrees of friends and business associates. He threatened his participation in the project to get his way. That makes his a double-douche… even if he apologized later for it.

I don’t put him in the same bracket with most of the actors you mentioned because 1) they appear to be infinitely more professional than he is now, 2) I consider them all to be of a much higher caliber in terms of acting accomplishments and 3) he doesn’t really have the career longivity and accomplishment that the folks in your paragraph above have. He’s a hot guy who’s been pretty good in a few movies now. How he acts both on screen and off will decide if he climbs to the levels of others, or becomes less than desirable to work with.

It’s easy to try to make excuses for people in the movie biz, because we all like the product (generally anyway, right?) and because we want to take a vested interest in the accomplishments of those people giving us a look into each and every one of these worlds. But simple fact is, they are doing a job. One that may have it’s own climate, but still carries a degree of professionalism to continue to work in (or a lot of dicks in your mouth… which I guess is another type of “professionalism”). Bale did not exhibit any of that in this clip; whether he did before or after I’ll never know. It’s not as if that DP was just some fucking bum they hired to be a warm body… he knows something about what he’s doing, his purpose and what to do around actors to get to the level he’s at. Any belief that he’s just some ‘tard that won’t take direction from those he works for and with is just as goofy as the idea that TMZ is a respectable news outlet.

Bucho
    Participant
    Version3 wrote:
    How he acts both on screen and off will decide if he climbs to the levels of others, or becomes less than desirable to work with.

Actually, now I’ve thought about it, I agree with him not being right at the very top with those guys. I still count him as much better than average, which is why this point you made is the most important one. He’s obviously dedicated to his craft and the film world needs more of that kind of artist. What it doesn’t need is more people who don’t know when to cap their tempers.

So we agree he acted like a douche, and we agree there’s no excuse for how far he went. We don’t know what the DP did to provoke him further and to even go as far as having Bale boil over to the point of threatening him physically. Unless the DP was himself posturing that he’d take Bale on there’s still no excuse but it matters in regards to the level of Bale’s douchiness. If all the guy did was decide he’d had enough and turn his back then Bale was a superdouche, but if the guy made physically aggresive gestures at Bale first then Bale’s reaction is more understandable, still not excusable, but less than superdouchey. We don’t know.

The fact the DP was an experienced pro only makes the DP look worse because even in spite of his experience and the large wad of cash he’s probably making he apparently acted like “some ‘tard that won’t take direction from those he works for”.

Version3
    Keymaster

Hey you know what?

People suck.

-except us. 😛

Bucho
    Participant

You win then dude, I don’t think I can argue with that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.