:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Anybody have PVR experience with a mac?

• Comments Off on Anybody have PVR experience with a mac?

Anybody have PVR experience with a mac?

Latest Replies Forums The Orange Lounge Anybody have PVR experience with a mac?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    mike3point14159
    Participant

I just ordered a 20″ imac. I got it with the bigger vram, and the 500 gig hd.

I’m looking to also get a personal video recorder.

The reviews on the apple website are pretty good on the 3 that are listed. But the reviews on amazon are either love it or hate it, no matter which one it is.

I was just hoping that somebody (Bryan) would have experience with one..

Version3
    Keymaster

Sorry, I haven’t used any of them on Mac, but I may know something about any one of them. I did not quickly find the three on the site, what are they?

mike3point14159
    Participant

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/1.RSLID?mco=E8430A7&nclm=E8430A7

On the left side of the Apple store under Mac Accessories, bottom of the list, click on, more accessories, bottom of the page that comes up, click on, Video Devices.

Version3
    Keymaster

well, I was hoping to see a Canopus product or something in the list, but no luck. Out of those. I’d be most likely to buy the Plextor product. It’s got the kind of reviews you mentioned, and on sites besides Apple too. But the complaints seem to be Intel compatibility, when there are a lot of people reporting it working with Intel. That makes it either a bum unit, or a dumbass user.

It doesn’t do HD, that’s a bummer. But then, none of them really are. They accept OTA HD, but if you hook your cable box or something up to it, you’ll lose the ability to view HD. None of them do component in either. So I’d say this. If you are gonna just watch OTA, I’d get the Plextor, because it’s better hardware, and it does hardware encoding, taking the load off of your Mac. If you want to record HD to your machine, I’d say get an Analog to Digital device that supports Component in, and ditch the tuner all-together, use your sat-box or cable-box for the tuner.

Does that help any?

BSherrod
    Participant

Thats funny because I was going to ask you the same question about the same computer. the difference is that I’m only gonna have my iMac to watch tv on in the dorm and hopefully by then they’ll have the core 2 duos in them.

mike3point14159
    Participant

Good insight, thanks.

Version3
    Keymaster

You might end up waiting for a long time. You’ll find out in less than a month what processor the G5 PowerMac replacement will be (like the Mac Pro) in terms of processor. If Woodcrest makes it into the Mac Pro, you might see a revision of the iMac in time for Xmas to have Conroe (the Core 2 Duo) in the iMac. This may be the case because Core 2 Duo currently will not allow multiple processors (aside of the cores that is), and since it’s likely that Mac Pro will have a top end “Quad” machine again, you’ve got a chance. -BUT, the issue is that the first line of Mac Pros might be Conroes and a ‘Big’ machine will come out later in the year, in which case a Core 2 Duo revision would not come for iMac simply because it would not allow the Mac Pro to be a bigger horsepower jump.

Anyway, Core 2 Duos will certainly come out in the iMac, but I think it will be late in the year, maybe even first quarter again. But then, I just read a lot, I don’t know anyone on the inside.

Version3
    Keymaster

And in the spirit of “what do I know”, MacRumors posted an article detailing how users have been noting that there is a mid-summer revision for iMac manual on the Apple site. So, perhaps they will have Conroe in there in the next month or two after all.

BSherrod
    Participant

Well it’s going to be maybe a year before I get mine so thats what I’m hoping on and they need to come out with the real video iPod damn it, I’ve been waiting since feburary for it….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.