:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Almost quit my job today …

• Comments Off on Almost quit my job today …

Latest Replies Forums The Orange Lounge Almost quit my job today …

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Frank
    Participant

I’ll try to condense this part as much as possible: I’m on my third newspaper now. The first two newspapers made me do Web posting as well as my actual job. Whenever something went wrong, I got reamed out for it, whether it was my fault or not. So when they asked me to do it for my current newspaper, I was more than hesitant, but did it because I felt like I didn’t have a choice in the matter.

When I was in Texas, I had a managerial role (I was the news editor). I moved back home and took a job that really was a step back for me position wise. For more than two years now, they have been dangling the “promotion” carrot in front of my face.

Today, the main editor tells me (not in so many words but it was implied heavily) that if I didn’t “embrace” doing the Web stuff, I wouldn’t be considered for the promotion. I really feel like I’m getting screwed here.

Am I thinking too much into this one or am I right on this one?.

Bing
    Participant

This is not a good thing…

Since you asked…….

They aren’t going to promote you…..I doubt you would like the conditions of it if they did….so beat them at their own game and take away the “power of the carrot”. Don’t embrace shit….once they see they don’t have that power over you and that you can’t be made angry by them or jump thru their hoops your situation will become much better….you may even have some fun with it….

Being somebody’s good little bitch and being a problem that needs to be fired are two entirely different things….

That’s my advice….

that’ll be $75.00

Newman
    Participant

Hey Frank, I’m currently working at my local paper but up in the web design department. But I’m the one who posts the stories online everyday. We are launching a new site where the writers and editor are going to be entering stories daily.

Any time I’m working on it and something goes wrong, weather or not its my fault I’ll get bitched at. My though has always been, “Well if they writers and editor did it for them selves we wouldn’t have these issues”.

Octavious
    Participant

Embrace the Web stuff. Is that your job? Tell the main editor that newspapers might not have a life in ten years. Everybody is getting there news from the web. I am.

Pa-ul
    Participant

I enjoy reading through the stuff on the “Darwin Awards”.

Only to laugh at people who do dumb things and succeed, where I’m really lucky.

If it doesn’t work, jam a screwdriver in there and jiggle it about.

John from Boston
    Participant
    Quote:

Do it… You wont…

Actually, I’m the web guy at my school newspaper (I wonder if SoS just attracts newspaper people) http://www.UMassMedia.com (I didnt do the layout)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.