:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

airbag question (not about congress)

• Comments Off on airbag question (not about congress)

airbag question (not about congress)

Latest Replies Forums The Orange Lounge airbag question (not about congress)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Larkitect
    Participant

so my father-in-law was talking to me and my wife. long story short he said that he recently heard that all cars with airbags have the seatbelts tied into the airbag release system. with activation of the airbags a small canister of some chemical is released onto the seatbelt, effectively locking them permanently in place. in effect trapping you inside the vehicle.

my question to the sos thinktank, is this true? i’ve never heard of this. if it is true then i would be highly irritated. i feel seatbelts should be a personal choice that each of us as adults should be able to make for ourselves. but if the government is not going to give me that choice for the sake of ensuring my safety, then i can’t think of anything more dangerous than being locked inside a vehicle that has just sustained enough trauma to deploy the airbags.

My essence still senses Bucho's women.

Version3
    Keymaster

Not only have I never heard of this, but it is almost certainly false. You can still remove the entire seatbelt assembly from any modern car and they are relatively the same as they have been for years. Basically they are a spring and cam system, with a weight is used to detect motion that should cause the cam to lock in place. The spring is primarily used for the belt retraction system. The only cars I have seen using a variation of this system in recent years, is the motorized seat belt system that was popular in the late 80s and early 90s… and even then the belt still worked similarly in some ways. I have not heard of something like this.

Ever hear of the systems they are working on to fill your car with foam? It’s nutty! I’d much rather have them just fill my car instantly with pudding, jello or mayonnaise.

Larkitect
    Participant

thanks. i thought that sounded about as crazy as zombie ants. and we know how that turned out. so i just wanted to be sure.

dude, if i could fill my car with pudding just by crashing it into something…

that’s just too much awesome to even ponder.

My essence still senses Bucho's women.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.