:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

A New Era for Humanity

• Comments Off on A New Era for Humanity

A New Era for Humanity

Latest Replies Forums The Lo Dimension A New Era for Humanity

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Version3Version3
    Keymaster

Idiocracy, or Nano Humanity?

So, I ended up on this video tied to a conference in Russia earlier this year (Russia 2045) that is designed to look far into the future, and start forcing innovation now based on what we will one day need (well, sort of). Anyway, this video is a predictive one, but it may have a lot of solid points… could this be a possible route? With the ways government behave like market hungry businesses, is this even actually possible?

I have thoughts, but I don’t know how to even start to organize them.

Version3Version3
    Keymaster

In no particular order or organizational context…

Aren’t we all supposed to die this year?

Okay, now that we have that out of the way… I find it really interesting that there are people my age and older proposing that humanity may actually overcome it’s consumerist ways and start to seek out greater meaning (rather than the answer modern man substitutes for greater meaning). It seems more likely to me that that while breakthroughs may happen at various levels from greater good oriented minds, it would be (will be) the ultra rich, and governments/militaries that would be most likely to drive overall success. That would counteract any greater good intentions, at least in the short term. But would this kind of thing being commonplace actually lead to people seeking out greater experiences than those tied to our mortal experiences?

The nature of man suggests that we would be more likely to test the limits of mortality than we would to simply move beyond them and find a new way to define ourselves. That in itself limits us to imagining such things as killing without recourse, suicide experiences without consequences and other such limited vision items. But once those are all ‘old hat’ and commonplace, are we really likely to see past them? I think we’d be stuck for a very long time in this cycle of substituting our own realities with alternate experiences, memory rewritings, shared experiences and those who would seek to own and/or control those commodities.

Where in there do we work to increase the functionality of the brain? The suggestion in the video is that we will just find a way beyond it. It’s very possible that we are organically already capable of many of the things that this tech would seek to solve, but instead of focusing on unlocking our own potential, our current course suggests that we would seek to augment it or replace it all together. In moving the “human spirit” to an artificial device, do we have limits that suggest some kind of experience overload?

Would being functionally immortal devalue each experience and memory to the point that we are totally bored with what more time can offer? Would time cease to be the measure of our existence? Given that time would continue to move linear, but it’s significance in a life would be diminished –and at what point would that fail to be the way we organize thoughts and memory?

How well do you REALLY remember that first kiss? You remembered it vividly right after it happened, and it was only after you experienced many more that the scale of it’s value was framed. Once you added experiences and memories that were both more intense, and that reframed these kiss experiences in both magnitude and frequency, the scale moved even more. With the passage of time and the frequent occurrence of these events, in most cases you recall it, but to not vividly remember it. Imagine decades upon decades of this, with all kinds of much more intense memories such as the act of killing being more realized than it is in video games, the experience of dying every way imaginable, personal flight, increased strength and senses, space flight, time-shifted memories and experiences… how well do you remember that first kiss now?

It seems to me that some may try to fail at this, but humanity will ultimately fuck it up, or it would be more like the movie AI –where some long evolved being born of our original intentions would seek out to discover what being human was. What was birth like, what was human loss like? What was our purpose, and how did it feel to exist.

The fact that it’s in our nature to cling to these things leads me to believe that no matter how much technology we would try to create to live on, live ‘more’ or live further, our need to be alive would continue to be a problem. That is unless we plan to invent the humanity out of us.

So maybe it’s more likely that we’d achieve memory transference, and AI would just “take over” for us, because it’s a logical choice.

Maybe science fiction has this shit right?

BuchoBucho
    Participant

Holy cow, that vid was worth it just for those shots of that boat smashing oceans.

@Version3 49251 wrote:

The nature of man suggests that we would be more likely to test the limits of mortality than we would to simply move beyond them and find a new way to define ourselves. That in itself limits us to imagining such things as killing without recourse, suicide experiences without consequences and other such limited vision items. But once those are all ‘old hat’ and commonplace, are we really likely to see past them? I think we’d be stuck for a very long time in this cycle of substituting our own realities with alternate experiences, memory rewritings, shared experiences and those who would seek to own and/or control those commodities. [/quote]

I toooooooootally get what you mean but can you expand on this for that dummy Lark?

The phrase “limits of mortality” makes me think of lifespan. In what way do you think we’ll test the limits of mortality if not in the way outlined by this project? Will it involve pilates and eating lots of kael?

@Version3 49251 wrote:

Where in there do we work to increase the functionality of the brain? The suggestion in the video is that we will just find a way beyond it. It’s very possible that we are organically already capable of many of the things that this tech would seek to solve, but instead of focusing on unlocking our own potential, our current course suggests that we would seek to augment it or replace it all together. In moving the “human spirit” to an artificial device, do we have limits that suggest some kind of experience overload?[/quote]

I think work has being done in the organic brain potential unlocking field for a long time. I remember growing up we’d be told that humans only use 10% of our mental potential and scientists have spent decades studying the brain patterns of gifted people to see how they’re different from “normals” such as Lark and how “normals” such as Lark might be augmented in some way to increase mental activity to whatever the real potential of the brain is. I’ve also heard that some science peeps have said more recently that the old 10% idea is bunkum.

I assume you actually knew all this and are actually asking why Russia 2045: Electric Boogaloo isn’t dealing in/with this sort of research and all I can say to that is that Lark doesn’t know.

@Version3 49251 wrote:

Would being functionally immortal devalue each experience and memory to the point that we are totally bored with what more time can offer? Would time cease to be the measure of our existence? Given that time would continue to move linear, but it’s significance in a life would be diminished –and at what point would that fail to be the way we organize thoughts and memory?

How well do you REALLY remember that first kiss? You remembered it vividly right after it happened, and it was only after you experienced many more that the scale of it’s value was framed. Once you added experiences and memories that were both more intense, and that reframed these kiss experiences in both magnitude and frequency, the scale moved even more. With the passage of time and the frequent occurrence of these events, in most cases you recall it, but to not vividly remember it. Imagine decades upon decades of this, with all kinds of much more intense memories such as the act of killing being more realized than it is in video games, the experience of dying every way imaginable, personal flight, increased strength and senses, space flight, time-shifted memories and experiences… how well do you remember that first kiss now?[/quote]

I figure that when we have digital brains we’ll be able to dial up experiences in all their vividness to “remember” as easily as Lark dials up that folder in which he keeps all the pictures with Robby’s head photoshopped onto Sofia Vergara’s body. Full sensory experiences will be recorded in 6S (six senses) instead of 1080 or 256kbps or 360 deg Celcius or whatever units are used for odours and scents (I believe they’re called “Larks”).

@Version3 49251 wrote:

It seems to me that some may try to fail at this, but humanity will ultimately fuck it up, or it would be more like the movie AI –where some long evolved being born of our original intentions would seek out to discover what being human was. What was birth like, what was human loss like? What was our purpose, and how did it feel to exist.

The fact that it’s in our nature to cling to these things leads me to believe that no matter how much technology we would try to create to live on, live ‘more’ or live further, our need to be alive would continue to be a problem. That is unless we plan to invent the humanity out of us.

So maybe it’s more likely that we’d achieve memory transference, and AI would just “take over” for us, because it’s a logical choice.

Maybe science fiction has this shit right?

I think the answer to the questions in this part come down to what you think human beings really are and more to the point what our emotions really are. If our emotions are really just electro-chemical reactions then it stands to reason that one day, if Lark doesn’t destroy The World first, we’ll have the capability of replicating them “artificially”.

I could be wrong though. I still haven’t seen AI. I bet Lark has though. And he’s smarter than me anyway.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

LarkitectLarkitect
    Participant

first of all, really good stereo on the music.

second of all, it sounds like Russia just discovered the idea of the Singularity. (way to stay current, Russia)

and tertiarily(?), this is entirely possible if the government stays out of it.

quadrilogy, how do you “end up” on a video like this?

pentagonally, i ocularized that there seemed to be a consistently congruent theme-ograpic idea in the adamantium structure of Bucho’s post.

sexily, i think my vocabularic meter just ostraficated itself at the juncture of hemorrhagic and constabulatory.

My essence still senses Bucho's women.

Version3Version3
    Keymaster

[corby output=”sounds”] huh? [/corby]

I think coder jokes are over, I should hit myself in the dickhole now.

BenBen
    Participant

Resurrecting an old thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NPC47qMJVg

BuchoBucho
    Participant

That shit sure makes you think.

robrob
    Participant

I like that shit. Some deep stuff there.

Version3Version3
    Keymaster

I like smart people.

BuchoBucho
    Participant

I like you too Captain.

BuchoBucho
    Participant

Oh.

If I was smart I would have realized you were talking about that guy in the video.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.