:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

A Bucho Trailergasm

• Comments Off on A Bucho Trailergasm

A Bucho Trailergasm

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder A Bucho Trailergasm

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bucho
    Participant

I could probably be doing more productive shit than geeking out on film trailers but … fuck it … I’ve been working too hard lately anyway.

This trailer for Paper Heart rides the edge between attractively cute and cute enough to make me want to destroy. It has cute seeping out of all it’s pores with Charlynne Yi and Michael Cera oozing adorability all over the screen. The idea of having a love story start during a fake documentary doesn’t get me excited and the early part of the trailer has me thinking I could give this a miss but from the scene in the diner (“I’m going to look it up …”) I start to like the people I see more than I probably should and from there I’m with them. The music sets a fun vibe and although it looks like the feeling of contrivance may not totally disappear I’m curious how this adventure will play out. It makes me want to see the film 7/10.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/paperheart/

The Brothers Bloom is from the writer/director of Brick, which I thought was very fun, and now he has Mark Ruffalo in his new movie which for me is promising from the get-go. I love con movies but still the “We’re going to do one last con” bit has my eyes rolling, but then the trailer wins me back when the car crashing into the block wall cracks me up and then Rachel Weisz being goofy and pretty has me drooling. There’re some exotic locations, an explosion or two, Rinko Kikuchi looking adorable and dangerous. If there’s a weak point it’s Adrien Brody, not the most magnetic screen presence on the block, and Robbie Coltrane’s post-Bond Euro quirk schtick could get old real fast but overall it’s a nice enough, if not especially original or thrilling, trailer. It also makes me want to see the film 7/10.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/summit/thebrothersbloom/medium.html

Sam Rockwell is awesome, easily one of my five favourite actors, and in general I love me some legit scifi. The problem with a scifi thriller is that they are so good at having shit endings (Event Horizon, Red Planet, Mission To Mars, Sunshine) so once things get twisty in this trailer I can’t help but worry that I’ll waste some time watching this only for the last act to play like dogshit. The effects look pretty amazing (for an indie movie at least) and all in all the Sam factor + the settings are enough to make me want to see this film 8/10. (The reviews I’ve read make me want to see it 10/10).

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/moon/

I can’t think of many things in sport more compelling than the Ali era of heavyweight boxing. Even years after his brain condition robbed him of his ability to express himself in the way he made his trademark the man still is a legitimate worldwide cultural phenomenon. He’s known as a motormouth antagonist and a charmer, and those things are what cemented his legend, but the foundation of course was that he was a heavyweight boxer in a part of history when the that division was going through a golden time. How could any other sport compare with the viscerally compelling drama that occurs when one man stands across the ring from another man and says, “I am here with only my skill, cunning and conditioning and I want to be the best in the whole world at this form of fighting, and I am going to hurt you bad to win that title.” The trailer starts strongly with the footage from Zaire and the ultimate tribute from who else but George Foreman. Then it’s chills after chills every time I watch it, these elite guys who stood toe to toe with The Greatest telling their stories. Ali had his flaws, and that only makes him so much more interesting and so this trailer makes me want to see the film 10/10.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/facingali/

If there is one sport that can produce drama that moves me as much as fighting, it’s big wave surfing. They require the same passions and discipline of character to master because they both have the very real potential to kill you. The difference is that where in boxing a man stands toe to toe with another man, when someone paddles into a wave more than twice his own height, atop tonnes and tonnes of very fast moving ocean, looking down the face of the wave at coral reef heads only two or three feet below the surface, he stands face to face with himself. Like the fighter he’s alone with only his skill, experience, physical conditioning and mental strength, and like the fighter if he fails he may not ever stand up again. This trailer starts slow, the talking drags on just a little too long before they really get down to the good stuff but once it does it keeps a hold of me right to the end. On top of the extraordinary display of athleticism and courage there’s the captivating energy of the ocean itself, the unique natural perfection of the curling lip on a huge breaking wave, at once mesmerizingly beautiful and brutally unforgiving. This trailer totally makes me want to see the film 10/10 dude.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/highwater/%5B/url%5D

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

digitaltopia
    Participant

The Moon movie looks like it could be pretty good, but the problem is you know, you just know, that at some point the computer’s going to freak out and turn into HAL again. But it still looks like it has some possibilities.

rob
    Participant

I’ve heard that Brothers Bloom is good shit, so that might be good. And yeah, Moon looks like it could rock.

digitaltopia
    Participant
    rob wrote:
    I’ve heard that Brothers Bloom is good shit, so that might be good. And yeah, Moon looks like it could rock.

No pun intended.

Bucho
    Participant

Shit yeah Rob, Moon is still at 100% (from 11 reviews) on Rotten Tomatoes.

The first 7 minutes of The Brothers Bloom are available to watch at apple.com now, as well as another clip.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/summit/thebrothersbloom/

Rian Johnson has also recorded a commentary exclusive to iPhone for the film. I know it won’t be as awesome as a SOS commentary and I don’t know if I’ll be into seeing the movie twice in the theatre (first time clean, second with commentary) and I’d have to steal a mate’s iPhone anyway, but I’d think even if you only saw the film once and then listened to the commentary like a normal podcast at work while the film’s still fresh in your mind it’d still be pretty interesting.

Upper right of page.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.