:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

2TB drive from seagate

• Comments Off on 2TB drive from seagate

2TB drive from seagate

Latest Replies Forums The Orange Lounge 2TB drive from seagate

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Larkitect
    Participant

Seagate claims first 6Gbit/sec, 2TB SATA hard drive.

my time machine drive is getting a little full. šŸ˜€

My essence still senses Bucho's women.

Version3
    Keymaster

This could actually max out the speed of FW800, and eSata is likely to be one of the few things to make heavy use of it. With the other specs of the drive, I doubt that it’s sustained throughput on anything but a specialized controller would be any faster than Sata 2. I’m not that much of a hardware geek though, there may be things about this that my feeble brain thingy doesn’t get.

Larkitect
    Participant

yeah, i’ll be real interested to see real-world performance.

but wouldn’t that be crazy though? if the bottleneck in your system was the ‘puny’ firewire800? and then by the time we get s1600/s3200 (and its affordable) they’ll be talking about petabyte platters. well, maybe not quite that soon but i can dream.

for me the saliva drips just to be able to have 2TB in one 3.5″ drive. my first triple digit gigabyte drive was only bought because it was there and i could afford it. you can never have enough hard drive space.

and my wife only allows one enclosure downstairs for me to put my time machine drive in. šŸ™‚

Bing
    Participant

I’m operating on an old machine. What are typical (home) hard drive capacities for you power-users?

Well Bing I use a 500gig HD but I want to badly to put in a 1tb soon with a 1tb RAID. Then I have 3gigs of RAM and 1gig of VRAM. But I am using Vista so it all blows.

Larkitect
    Participant

the desktop (windows) upstairs has about 500GB internal. i’ve got some external drives for it (dedicated to music/video/data/partition cloning). the drives are so partitioned and mapped to folders that i can’t remember how much actual space i have. definitely under 1TB, but its plenty.

i have a 1 TB external drive just for my 80GB macbook air (1/2 for backup, 1/2 for my music/movies). i’d love to put the TB drive upstairs and replace it with one of these new seagates (i’m a hard drive whore. šŸ˜€ ).

my 2 windows laptops have 160GB drives and each of them have a 320GB external drive for music/movies/primary partition cloning.

i have (had? i can’t remember. i haven’t seen it in a while) an old (obviously) 8GB hard drive that i took apart just to watch the platters spin and the twitch of the arm as the heads seek. i have always been fascinated by hard drives and how they work. i never throw a hard drive away without removing the magnets, too.

Version3
    Keymaster

Well, I’m no “Power User” here šŸ˜€ , but my setup for my laptop has two “homes”… 320GB internal, but I have 1TB (FW800) down here for my data and side projects, a 320GB (FW800) for my asset library and a 320GB (FW400) for SOS. At work, things really get thumping along with a triplet of LaCie Quadras – FW800 (1TB each) 1 for editing Video, 1 for Assets, Data and finished materials, and the third is Time Machine. I only maintain a Time Machine backup at work. I’ve got an additional LaCie FW400, just for mirroring source video, since I’m doing direct to hard drive video recording via Adobe OnLocation. I’ll be archiving those before too long, or buying another drive I guess. šŸ˜›

The Mac Mini at the house has a 500GB drive for Movies and downloads, and another 320GB drive floating around for Library movies.

I need more drives at the house believe it or not. I have a couple of little 80GB USBs I use for for bullshit, moving things around, dealing with Winblows boxes and such. I think that’s it.

Larkitect
    Participant
    Quote:
    triplet of LaCie Quadras – FW800 (1TB each)

may i use this image for my ‘self time’ later on tonight? because that’s hot.

Version3
    Keymaster

Those are great drives, I really like them (obviously since I mentioned them by model).

Bing
    Participant

I’ve always been one to “backup” data: first on floppies, then zip drives, now dvd’s. Its a habit I never got out of but with storage like you guys are talking about is backup even a practical thing to do?

Bing to say it short and sweet, yes.

You never know when a drive either internal or external will fail, get damaged, have lil bobby from down the street wipe it out or some thing.

As my teacher always says back up, back up, and again BACK UP every important thing. So keep it up man!

Oh and yay another person that uses ZIP drives! Bing you are GOD.

Larkitect
    Participant

hard drives are fickle. i’ve had some not last two years and i’ve had some that are still chugging along well after ten.

at home, my backups are for two things. to save time and to save data (not to mention just plain old convenence). saving data is obvious. but i keep an image of a clean os install just to save time. and i really don’t want to ever have to re-rip my cd/dvd collection. and there are things i’ve downloaded that i don’t want to have to find again or use the time and bandwidth to download them again. because as time goes by, some things get harder to find. šŸ˜‰

like the old saying goes: if it wasn’t backed up it wasn’t important.

Larkitect
    Participant

@Bing 41602 wrote:

I’ve always been one to “backup” data: first on floppies, then zip drives, now dvd’s. Its a habit I never got out of but with storage like you guys are talking about is backup even a practical thing to do?

oh yeah, to answer your question? i thinks its very practical. the price per gigabyte nowadays is very affordable.

don’t be afraid of buying and filling larger capacity drives because you are worried they might die. if there is a build defect, that should show up soon with regular use. beyond that, you’re in the ‘ether’ with the rest of us.

Version3
    Keymaster

The storage IS the backup in most cases. -or at least the redundant storage is.

Version3
    Keymaster

I should also mention that there are as many drives as there are because of performance concerns; as a drive exceeds half capacity, they start to perform slower overall, and of course this is most evident after 70% usage or so. So with drive costs, doing all of my renders with 700GB free is a cheap performance boost as well (vs a full drive anyway).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.