:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Re: Taking all bets … Rob will be where at 12:01 a.m. Saturday

• Comments Off on Re: Taking all bets … Rob will be where at 12:01 a.m. Saturday

Re: Taking all bets … Rob will be where at 12:01 a.m. Saturday

Latest Replies Forums The Orange Lounge Taking all bets … Rob will be where at 12:01 a.m. Saturday Re: Taking all bets … Rob will be where at 12:01 a.m. Saturday

Bucho
Participant

The wizards in discworld are funny but the real magic is in the stories of the Watch. Vimes is just so fucking cool, the perfect everyman elevated to reluctant hero character through hardened but wry old-style cop values, and the other characters surrounding him are so perfect, it’s no wonder Terry Pratchett was the top UK fiction author before Rowling started pumping out the Potter.

I mean, if an HP fan wanted more stories with spells and broomsticks, but with humor, the Unseen University would be a sweet starting point but the Watch stories have more of the depth, badassness and humour of some kind of Sopranos/Grosse Pointe Blank/Kung Fu Hustle/JFK/Hitchhiker’s Guide/Bourne Identity/Willow/Dirty Harry/Blade/Fifth Element/Terminator concoction. Werewolf cops, reformed-vampire lawyers, a guild of assassins, a devilishly intelligent Patrician, dwarves, golems, Death himself … shit, I sound like I’m selling the stuff. Start with Guards! Guards! and move it on up. Pratchett also has great stories not revolving around the watch though, Going Postal kicked ass and Thief Of Time is awesome too, with the history monks and time travel theory stuff.

Old Tel has been writing more for kids and young teenagers lately with those Wee Free Men stories so hopefully he comes back to Vimes and Co someday soon. Just like the film world needs writers who can weave multi-layered tales, so does the book world and Terry’s the man in that regard.

Rallying cry/rant over.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.